WWII Music and Songs

I have always liked old stuff. I've always seemed a bit of an oddity in a society that throws out the old to make room for new, lesser quality stuff. I like older homes especially. However, when I was looking for a home to buy the restored homes were so expensive you have to be an M.D. or someting special to afford them and the unrestored ones were in pitiful shape.

I especially like the thrill of finding something REALLY CHEAP or rescuing it from certain destruction. Along with the victrola, my grandad brought home 2 antique dressers with mirrors, in one of the drawers was a WWII Navy pull over. I was tickled to death! :pdt34: My mom likes to joke with me by saying, "Don't throw it away, give it to Brooke."

I especially liked a television show that was on back in the mid to late 80's called "Friday the 13th", it was about a team that searched for "haunted antiques". Would love to see the re-runs.

Here's that link for the victrolas: http://www.victor-victrola.com/

Brooke

Hello Brooke,

If your "new" Victrola plays old 78's I have about a dozen or so that I'd be happy to let you have. I don't own a turntable but I bought them at a yardsale for just a dollar for the old load of them, so I couldn't resist. Most are by "The Ink Spots" on the Decca label but I do have one by Glen Miller "In The Mood" which I'm sure you would like. The one I would most like to hear (again, no turntable!) is an interesting 78 recorded in January 1945 and dedicated to a "Lt. Col. H.W. Minton." I have not a clue who this might be, or what's on the record.

If interested in one or all of these you can send me an email at petesdad_2000@charter.net or PM me.

Cheers,

Jim

No I haven't had enough yet. Was just getting into it. :lol::lol:

I love reading this. I love the songs and cadences and of course hearing about what the songs meant to you and all the memories associated with them.

Looks like I will have to get a copy of Paper Doll, etc. and place them on the music page. I haven't added anything in a while and those would be good additions.

You know Mare; you mentioned the songs during WWII and what they meant to us. I wonder how many guys out there associated songs with the different posts they were at.

When I was in basic training at Sheppard Field, Texas, 1944, it was;

Oh give me land lots of land under starry skies above

Don't fence me in

Let me ride through the open country that I love

Don't fence me in

At Truax Field, Wisconsin for radio school it was;

I'll walk alone

Because to tell you the truth, I'll be lonely

I don't mind being lonely

When my heart tells me you are lonely too

At Chanute Field, Illinois, for radar it was

You got to accentuate the positive

Eliminate the negative

Latch on to the affirmative

Don't mess with Mister. in-between

At Boca Raton, Florida for airborne radar it was

Missed the Saturday dance

Heard they crowded the floor

Couldn't bear it without you

Don't get around much anymore

Aboard ships, that's another story, in 46, it was

It was just a neighborhood dance, that's all that it was

But, Oh, what it seemed to be

It was like a masquerade ball with costumes and all

Cause you were at the dance with me

Then no matter who or where you were, it was Vera Lynn singing

When the lights go on again, All over the world

And the boys are home again, All over the world

And rain or snow is all that may fall from the skies above

A kiss won't mean goodbye, But hello to love

What would we be without links to our past

chuck

Excellent post Chuck! Yes music is such an important link to our past. How a song can bring back such vivid memories of times and places after only hearing a note or two. Hey, I can name that tune in four notes... :lol:

Music is definitely food for the soul! :wub:

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

100 years old? Does it play the 78 rpm records from the 40's? If so may have a few to give you. Maybe I am incorrect but seems like 100 years ago they were cylindrical and

not flat records. Course I could be wrong. But still have some 78's I dont use.

Thanks j3 and Jim!!! Please PM me with your address and let me pay you for the shipping charges.

Hugs,

Brooke

Jim, if I recall the Ink Spots are among Len Smith's favorites as well. Twilight Time is one of mine.

Brooke

Ah amongst my old albums I have the Ink Spots. Dad and mom always loved them. I remember them playing this when I was a young child. Good memories. B)

Marion J Chard

Very popular music in europe was Glenn Miller and most popular was Vera Lynn ..

Hey Brooke, have you been to the music portion of my site yet? Lots of good music there with more to follow shortly! Let's swing!

Marion J Chard

Jim, if I recall the Ink Spots are among Len Smith's favorites as well. Twilight Time is one of mine.

Brooke

The records are on their way Brooke...I was able to send them by Media Mail so it was very cheap. You should have them in around 7-10 days. Enjoy!

Jim

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Email regarding old phonographs and WWII music... Walt's Daughter 0 3,268 05-15-2014, 11:31 AM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter
  The Honeybee Trio - music of the 30's and 40's Walt's Daughter 2 6,483 12-09-2012, 10:49 AM
  OUR MUSIC PAGE Walt's Daughter 83 124,820 08-28-2012, 10:48 AM
  Wow, thanks for updated songlist - Music Jukebox Walt's Daughter 3 5,201 12-21-2011, 10:39 PM
Last Post: ND-Jim
  WWII sheet music info sites Walt's Daughter 0 3,087 05-17-2010, 08:12 AM
  Candyman Music Video Michael Callaghan 17 17,019 12-08-2007, 08:11 PM
Last Post: Jeeper704
  CD008: WWII Music & Variety Show Part 1 Walt's Daughter 3 5,706 11-28-2007, 01:58 PM
  Music from Joe Walt's Daughter 7 10,127 12-24-2005, 12:04 AM
  Music - The Authentic History Center Walt's Daughter 0 4,769 12-22-2005, 05:26 PM
  Music Cadetat6 1 143,157 02-15-2005, 12:26 AM