Over Here from Over there.

Marion,

As you know my main area of WW2 research is Sicily but I am also interested in the US forces in Britain. I attempted to help Nancy (Alaskan girl) with research into what was going on in the UK prior to Overlord with Bolero etc.

Have you ever seen a reference to the first GI to land in the UK? The official record shows him to be Pfc. Milburn H Henke from Minnesota who arrived on the 26 January 1942.Of course there were many Americans who had volunteered before this date, the RAF Eagle Squadron, civillian advisers and technicians and those who joined the three services ahead of the US declaration of war.

From the photo, Pfc. Henke appears to be an infantry man but there are no badges or flashes to confirm his outfit. I can recommend the book from where this information comes: "Over Here" The GIs in wartime Britain. by Juliet Gardiner. Published by Collins & Brown. !992. Do'nt know if it is available "over there"!

Colin.

:tank:

Hi Colin:

Did an initial search on Alibris (one of the book stores listed on my BOOKS PAGE) and came up with this:

http://www.alibris.com/search/detail.cfm?c...tches=3&qsort=r

It list for $9.65.

BTW, thanks for giving assistance to my friend (our friend) Nancy. She greatly appreciates your help. :pdt34:

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"