M1 Garand

Thanks for the thought anyway, Martin, I appreciate it.

Was about to get a Lüger a month or so ago, but someone cut me off. :banghead:

Oh well, I first get me a Garand or so again and will see later what will be next.

I like the one in the picture. :armata_PDT_37:

Erwin

Yes, the M-1 rifle. Got two some years ago and I guess they mated as now there are 6 of them. At least that is what I tried to tell my wife. For some reason she doenst believe me though.. Same as the cans of ammo. They

seem to have multiplied also. Must be something in the air around here. Twobisquit: Looks like a Thompson M-1 or M-1a1 with a 30 rd stick mag you are using.. (side actuator) . Great weapon and dependable.

garands.jpg

Hi Joe... I sure enjoyed shooting that old Thompson.

For some of our newer members, Joe is our resident M1 expert, although he mostly carried a Thompson in the war. I was able to work up some very good reloads for my Garand ,with the help of Joe.

Chris

Here is a pretty cool video of M1 vs. tommygun

http://video.aol.com/video-detail/id/1621612241

A couple of weeks ago we got a thunderstorm that dropped almost 3 inches of rain in about 2 hours. That's alot of rain for this part of the country.Well, we ended up with about an inch of water in the basement that ruined the carpet.

My Garand hangs on the wall down there, so I figured that it was time to give it a good cleaning. After about a 2 hour scrubbing job, I was getting everything back together when a pin dropped out and the entire feed assembly( 5 parts) fell out on the floor.

I was feeling pretty sick about the whole thing and finally located my old copyof the Army Field Manual. After looking at the instructions and terrible photographs, for about 20 minutes,I gave upand sprayed down everything with WD 40.

In the meantime, I found the Civilian Marksmanship Program's website http://www.civilianmarksmanship.com/reassembly.html . This website has very good pictures and great detailed instructions. Actually I had to download 16 pages to get me through it in about another hour and a half. So everythings back together and ready to go.

I n the process of finding the website I came across this picture.I know there are some people that aren't intimidated by this but I'm used to working with single shot and lever action guns that have three or 4 working parts.

Egad Chris! You must have been about at your breaking point! :banghead: Lee and I had to laugh when we pulled up the link you posted and looked at the picture they have on the opening page. :armata_PDT_23::frown:
Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Yes I was a little nervous about getting it back together.

Help!I tried to post that picture on my original post, but just spent about a half hour trying to reduce it to 39 k and can't seem to get it ???

Here ya go...

post-2-1188085300_thumb.jpg

Attached Files
.jpg   MI_In_Pieces.jpg (Size: 52.45 KB / Downloads: 0)
Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Twobisquit: I have a few spare CMP (civilian Marksmanship program) booklets that come with each M-1 rifle

and shows good pics etc on taking them down and back together. If you want one send me your address. Joe

Here's a poster from WWII. Goes right along with our topic.

http://www.olive-drab.com/gallery/description_0078.php

I was introduced to the M-1 Garand 1943 Tent City, Miami Beach, Florida. 400 Tents, 8 men to a tent. I had 3 years in uniform. 18 months as flying cadet and 18 months as Infantry man. In Tent City I fired M-1 at a large target that someone would hold a disc on the end of a pole showing where you hit the target, I got a 142 score. Does any one know if that score is good, or bad , or normal. The last I seen a M-1 Garand was in 1946 in Taegu, Korea , it was dunked in a tub of sticky dark solution and packed in a box with other M-1's. I did bringe back a 3 1/2 foot Japanese Sword, the handel sticking out of my barrack bag, no one cared abouty it. My brother-in-law brought back from Bougainville a ugley 18 inch. knife.

papa Art