M1 Garand

The Civilian Marksmanshio Program is selling Field Grade M-1 rifles (surplus G.I.) for $375.00.

My previous neighbor obtained one thru this program and it was in great shape. He took me out to a 200-yd range and the M-1 was really nice to shoot. Those sights are great. And at 8-lb, the thing is not going to jump out of your hands.

I've been wasting my time playing a PC-game "Medal of Honor". Someone submitted a question to their website and asked why can't you re-load a half-empty M-1 without firing off all the rounds. You can't.

When loading the M-1, you pressed the entire clip of 8 rounds down into the gun. After the last shot was fired, the clip popped out with a "PING".

However, the guys on the practise range devised a cut-down clip that allowed you to load one or two rounds---for a practise shot. I forget how it worked but it didn't pop out, I remember that.

Just usually info some may find interesting.

Joe, can you send me one? An M-1---not the manual. :pdt:

Steve

Custerman: Im afraid I am down ot my last M-1, a beautiful "Select Grade" from years ago. Others were sold to help with my Grandaughters college costs lately. I possible you should purchase either a "Field Grade" or a "Rack grade" M-1 from CMP. Also,

M-1 ammo is still available (Lake City 1976 ball ammo) at a very reasonable price from

CMP. M-1 clips and cloth bandoleirs I can give you. By the way. At any stage a clip with remaining ammo can be ejected from a M-1 rifle by holding the bolt open and pressing the "clip release button". Also, a 2 rd. clip can be easily made from a 8 rd.

clip at home, and WILL eject. Used mainly for the National Match course requiring timed fireing and loading two rds and then 8 more in the specified time.. Can send a pic of the

ones I used if requested. Glad you like the M-1 rifle.

Dear Joe:

Thanks a bundle. Just received the M1 booklet you mailed to me. I am delighted. I appreciate your thoughtfulness and it will be a great item to add to my WWII collectables.

You're a sweetheart. :heartpump:

M

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Hey Joe:

If you have the History Channel. Make sure you tune into R Lee Ermy's show tonight. Here's the scoop...

M-1 Garand Rifle/First Assault Rifle/Jato/Golden Knights Parachute Team/Barrage Balloons - Airs on Friday, September 16 at 10:30pm ET

R. Lee Ermey answers viewer questions about the M-1 Garand, the rifle General Patton called "the greatest battle implement ever devised", and demonstrates the world's first assault rifle, the German MP-44. He takes to the sky to explain jet assisted take-off (JATO); offers an eye-popping look at the stunts performed by the Golden Knights, the Army's precision freefall parachute team; explains how barrage balloons protected London during the Blitz; and goes through the alphabet--military style! TVPG L

Marion J Chard

Ah yes, the most "hands on" experience I have with WWII. My 3 M1's. Two of mine are from the CMP, the first one I got at a gun store before I knew of the CMP.

Hi here's my desktop pic.

I for myself have 4 Garands 2 Winchester 1 Springfield and 1 H&R one of the Winchester is a left over from Battle of the bulge the other Winch. is from the Danish army.

In my eyes the M1 Garand is the most beautiful rifles in the world.

post-11-1146518394_thumb.jpg

Attached Files
.jpg   Copie_de_Mozilla_Wallpaper.jpg (Size: 18.93 KB / Downloads: 0)

Rennog: Just wondering how you know one of the Wincs. was "left over from the Battle

of the Bulge"??? U.S. military equiptment such as firearms were not allowed to be sent

home (as were U.S. legal forign non-full autos) and few returning G.I.'s would chance being caught trying this, specially with a M-1 which even when taken apart was still

pretty big to hide.. Most of us were only interested in getting home with being delayed

(or punished) for something like this.

Dear j3rdinf,

Thank you for giving us Liberty!

The rifle wasn't send home because it stayed in Luxembourg where I live, the men who sold it to me told me that he got it from his Father who found it on the battle fields.

I has been told by peoples who lived through that time and I have read in Lux. books that after the battle of the bulge there were a lot of military items left over by the germans and the Us. Even today you can still find rusty guns, grenades in our woods.

Some time ago I has been in a shooting contest with military rifles organized by the Lux. army and I know some soldiers and after the shooting was over we small talked about guns and one of the Soldiers told us that they were called by the police to drive to a house to remove some guns where the owner died some time ago.

When they came there the spouse told them she will sell the house but she didn't know what to do with her late husband guns so she called the police to help her.

They removed over 90 Garands over 30 M1carbines, sten sub machine guns, german submg's german mg's and so on.

I wish she had called me because all those guns who the army removed were destroyed shortly after that :banghead:

Martin from Lux.

Ps.Sorry for my faults :wave:

They removed over 90 Garands over 30 M1carbines, sten sub machine guns, german submg's german mg's and so on.

I wish she had called me because all those guns who the army removed were destroyed shortly after that 

Holy Moly!!!! I can see why you would be kicking yourself in the behind. What a find. Ohhh, it makes me cringe to know that they did not wind in the right hands, including yours. :banghead::banghead: What a shame. :(

I am still sad that my mom gave my dad's Luger away. I have never forgiven her for it. I am still hoping that one day someone in my family will admit to having it and give it back to me, the rightful owner. :banghead:

Marion J Chard

Amazing. I'm sure there were a lot of pick-me-ups on the battle field just days after the conflict. That is IF you were brave enough to wander out there among the un-exploded ordnance.

U.S. military equiptment such as firearms were not allowed to be sent

home (as were U.S. legal forign non-full autos) and few returning G.I.'s would chance being caught trying this

I've heard accounts of veterans on their voyage home being told to declare all weapons. Many just tossed them over the side of the ship and then found out later that everything was so hectic at the port that no one inspected their duffle bags at all. They could have kept them.

Then one veteran told of being the last group off a ship and they ordered them to remove all unclaimed cargo from the ship and move it to a warehouse. Here were stacks and stacks of unused equipment and weapons---probably hidden on the ship by soldiers who didn't want to get caught by the edict.

Steve