Comment-allez-vous?

Comment-allez-vous?

Upon entering high school in the 1930s, we had to choose one of 3 curricula, College, General, or Commercial. For financial reasons, college seemed out of the question then, so I took the General course, like the majority of others. It offered quite an assortment of electives. (I remember taking two years of bookkeeping, typing and shop, among others).

My grades were good and after two years, a guidance counseller took me aside to point out that unless I elected more college entrance required subjects (including a foreign language), I would be unable to enter college, if and when the opportunity arose. I took her advice, despite my reservations, and took 2 years of French and more math. I graduated first in my high school class and won a competitive full tuition scholarship to Rutgers University. Room and board, I paid through part- time and summer jobs.

sofrance44.jpg

When I graduated in May1943, (having been an ROTC student), I was sent to Infantry OCS and commissioned 2nd Lt. Inf. on Sept. 20, 1943. I was then shipped out as an Infantry 2nd LT. and assigned to the 3rd Inf Div, 7th Inf Reg't, in January 1944. I spent about 3 months on the Anzio Beachhead and the road to Rome, after which we trained briefly for the amphibeous assault landing in Southern France.

D day was August 15, 1944 at Cavalaire-sur-mer. We fought our way north and then east to enter Germany on March 15, 1944 We fought for 7 months in France and my ability to speak fluent French was a valuable and pleasurable asset which I had thought I would never use! The French people welcomed us with open arms, not to mention champagne and other goodies such as the company of grateful young ladies. We called it the Champagne Campaign. Enemy resistance stiffened as we approached their homeland, but the Champagne Campain (and being able to speak fluent French), brighten my memories.

Russ Cloer - 3_7_I_Recon

sofrance.jpg