Dachau and the 45th

I have taken part in forum postings on this subject in the past. Controvserial. Yes It could have happened to any comnbat unit and it did happen to some. Not just the 45th ID.

Each time I read about this action there is more things I did not read before. Here is where I read about http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic.php...hau+45th#680393 Go to this forum and put Dachau 45th ID in search on that forum.

Berserk:look up definition

Thank you for posting that link Mr. Hinkle, it certainly contained some enlightening information. Also, thank you for your service.

Ron

I just stumbled upon this topic about Dachau. Just yesterday I was looking at photos of the museum that occupies the camp. A relative of a co-worker visited it in June of this year.

Brooke

This is another page on one of the webs listed above.

Speaks about WHO WAS THERE FIRST.

http://www.scrapbookpages.com/DachauScrapb...rationDay4.html

The bottom paragraphs from that page sum it up this way:

"One might ask: What does it matter?

The reason this subject is so important is because the liberation of Dachau is symbolic of the liberation of Germany from the Nazis. It is symbolic of the Allied victory over Fascism and the preservation of the freedom of Americans, which had been threatened by the mere existence of Hitler's Third Reich. It is symbolic of the Allied liberation of the Jews from persecution by the Nazis, and the end of the Final Solution which claimed the lives of 6 million Jews. The liberation of Dachau was one of the most significant events of World War II and one of the most important events in world history. All of the soldiers in the 45th and 42nd Divisions of the US Seventh Army can rightly claim to be heroes because they participated in the liberation of Dachau, no matter who was the first man to set foot inside the camp."

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Thoughts from Russ Weiskircher - 45th Infantry Division Walt's Daughter 0 2,118 05-02-2012, 10:04 PM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter