Irish Maam's boys

I happened onto this video today, for a 3/187 platoon preparing for a patrol in Samarra.

http://www.dvidshub.net/vjump.php?vid=8754

Ah Cindy. I know you've been having a rough "go" at things lately and I'm happy to fill in the blanks when you can't be here. I only hope that some of the people here on my forum are taking the time to read this besides you and I. It would be a comforting thought. But hell, if you and I were the only ones, then we that's okay too. It touches our hearts and brings comfort to the "boys". God love 'em. I do!

"I sit around and think what you are thinking about, (you know , are you all proud of me?) I am for the first time in my life. I think that I am actually doing something that is bigger then me, something that might actually make life better for someone, more than for myself or even someone I know. There are millions of people over here that actually have a future , it may not be f*****g shangrila but someday it might be better. I really dont give a s*** about WMD. I 've been talking to the Iraq people around here and almost all of them think the hardship is worth it, if their children and their childrens children might have a chance. It definently humbles me"

Man, I love what he said. About making it better and taking part in something larger than him. My favorite line? "I really don't give a s*** about WMD." Amen to that. Maybe the damned stupid press and half the democratic senators and congressmen should read stuff like this. All they can think about are WMD's. Like that is the ONLY thing that matters in IRAQ. Like that is the only thing that would make it worthwhile to invade Iraq and help these people gain their freedom. They make me sick. They complain from their comfy offices and diss the president and his cabinet. Maybe we should ship all their silly a**es to Iraq for about 8 weeks. Call it a field trip!

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

A field trip.... I love that. I would hope others read here too Marion but even if they dont thats fine, I know I always got you babe.... Thanks you could get a job with that post a field trip that just seems so fitting for some! Love ya Sis

These guys rock. So touched by this story tonight. Is anyone here with me?

---------

1LT Christina Schneck

Baghdad, Iraq- SPC Taylor Schmit of the 227th Supply Company, no stranger to convoys, watched as the gun truck squad readied for yet another mission. Precious cargo to be picked up would be an understatement to Schmit. This convoy would be picking up his older brother, Dustin, serving with the 3rd Battalion, 187th Infantry Regiment. After nearly eight months without seeing each other, two brothers, Taylor and Dustin Schmit, would reunite ten thousand miles away from home. Both are fighting in Operation Iraqi Freedom 3.5.

Both brothers joined the Army immediately following the attacks on the U.S. on September 11th, believing that they needed to do more. “It is easy enough to wave a flag and say that you are patriotic,†said Dustin, “To us, it meant serving our countryâ€. Taylor then said, “I plan on pursuing a teaching career after the Army. History taught from schoolbooks is one thing, but to teach what I actually experienced, now I am part of history. I can help break the stereotypes from what I have seenâ€.

Both brothers are conducting missions that put them in harm’s way. Dustin’s unit conducts patrols around the city and Taylor’s unit provides security on the supply convoys that run on some of the same dangerous streets of Baghdad. When asked how they feel about having their brother in a combat zone, both laughed and responded in unison, “It is fine for me but I worry about himâ€.

“It is also part family tradition†said Dustin, “We have had a family member serve in every major conflict from the French and Indian War to the present dayâ€. Taylor caveats with “Our mom, even before we were both over here, would send soldiers care packages. I know she worries about us but she is proud to have her sons serving in the militaryâ€.

As the desert sun slips into the horizon, two brothers get the chance to enjoy each other’s company, at least for a short while. And for the two, all is right in a not so free world.

post-25-1138927011_thumb.jpg

Attached Files
.jpg   DustyAndTay.jpg (Size: 16.85 KB / Downloads: 0)
Marion J Chard

Editor’s note; Lucinda Schmit, proud mother of Taylor and Dustin, would like to add -

“Capt. Maureen Ryan of 227th Supply Co. (Taylor’s Captain) and Dustin’s commanding officer Capt. Scott Brannon of 3rd Brigade 3-187 Inf. helped make this happen. When Dustin got to Baghdad it was [supposed to be just] a stopover before he headed north. I emailed both captains to see if there would be any possible way to get the boys together for a day or a brief visit. They took control at that point and worked it out so that they could spend time together. They hadn’t seen each other in over 8 months and would more than likely not see each other again during their deployment. Dustin was able to spend his 27th birthday with his brother, and they actually got to spend 6 days together. it is a gift they will never forget. They have precious memories to keep all their days, thanks to the kindness and compassion of these two captains. In the middle of a war they made this happen for my sons. I will always hold them in a very special place in my heart for their kindness. Godspeed to all.â€

Well Marion I have news... Dusty got engaged from Iraq via the telephone and some help form Saide.... He was going to wait until his R & R which has been cancelled and couldnt wait anyway so he planned this on his own...He is slicker by the day. It was awesome. He set it all up or asked me to help him get her to my Moms house, have my grandaughter all dressed in her mini acus with his beret, and when he got lauren on the phone he asked her is Sadie in the room she says no should she be and he says yes call her in the room for me..so Sadie makes her practiced entrance gets on one knee and opens the ring box!!! You should have seen the look on Laurens face it was priceless. Dusty asked her will you marry me just as Sadie got on her knee.... It was outstanding. there were a few tears hahahaha Before Dusty called Sadie says hey I have an idea and starts playing here comes the bride!!! Lauren is like what is she playing> I said oh nothing shes only 5 she just pounds on the piano and she says it sounded like Here comes the bride....I am almost crapping my pants thinking Sadie is nt gonna be able to keep the secret but she did great. Dusty then got on the phone with Sadie and told her Oh thank you baby girl you did a good job. So she was quite proud of herself.. I will post a picture if I can find one where lauren isnt sobbing... oh she said yes I iwsh I could post the part where Sadie was on one knee but I did that in video mode and dont know how to post that..

DSCF2354.jpg

My backup plan if he didnt get to call I am glad he got to do it his way it was great

DSCF2356.jpg

Oh my gosh! What great news. I love the whole story. What a romantic. Three cheers for Sadie too. Quite a little actress we have on our hands. This made my afternoon! :heartpump::wub::pdt34::pdt34::pdt34:

The photos of Lauren are priceless. I can see the glistening tears. Wow and wowzee!

How long have they been a "thing"?

Yes, I wish I could have seen Sadie on bended knee. How precious.

Well congrats to Dusty and Lauren. Looks like we will have another family member. Yippee! :D

Marion J Chard

It really was something Dusty and Sadie are a team ya know and they were quite in sync with this one. Now its time to practice being the flower girl... Dusty and lauren have been together for about a year give or takeShe is a darling young lady You would like her I am sure. I will keep you filled in on any new news Oh planning weddings can be triicky I hope it goes as smooth as the rest of their relationship has gone. Dusty has rhe standard answer to every question she asks him regarding the wedding.... "what ever you want baby" Have mercy he is a dingbat... a lovley one at that though I knew you would enjoy some good news so there ya are. Love ya Cindy

I love hearing the GOOD NEWS sis! I am always reminded about the Yin and Yang of life. Someone dies, someone is born. There is always an exchange of good and bad, high and low.

Your news reminded me today of when I lost my dear friend, Ben Palmer.

http://www.6thcorpscombatengineers.com/Ben...nnettPalmer.htm

Shortly after his death (I still tear up when I think of him), I received a beautiful letter from his granddaughter. I am delighted to say that she is a lovely reflection of her grandfather and we have become friends and stay in touch. She had a baby (her first) shortly after Ben's death. She sends me photos and every time I see her darling baby, I think of Ben and it makes me smile. He lives on in her. Oh the joy of life.

Love you too. Hugs :wub:

Marion J Chard

Sent to me by Cindy

As you get to the end of the article you will see why they call Dusty's OP in Samarra the Alamo. It doesnt do much for the sleepless nights factor but it does explain some things. Myabe I better send some cowboy hats along with a lot of prayers..

Seriously I appreciate the prayers for our troops over there, the cowboy hat remark is a bit of a pun I suppose. I am very proud of the generations resolve and determination to keep driving on. Thanks Love Cindy

From the Frontlines: U.S. Soldiers Speak on Iraq

By Chuck Holton

CBN News Correspondent

CBN.com – This week we celebrate our veterans and their sacrifice for our freedom. To honor them, we bring you a story from the frontlines of the war in Iraq. Here at home we often hear voices of protest and criticism of the war effort, but the voices of the men and women actually fighting the war on terror there have a different story.

You have heard what the protesters are saying, and you have seen the chaos on the evening news. You have seen a lot of Cindy Sheehan, but you have not heard anything like one soldier saying this:

“I believe in the sacrifice I make here - where other people won't have to make it, and also for the safety of my family back home."

Or this, from Maj. Jim Beagan: "I feel fortunate to do this, as hard as it has been on my family, I respect the decision to come here and my family supports me in it."

So how about the men and women actually doing the fighting? What do they have to say about this mission? Let's start at the top of the chain of command. Gen. Joseph Taludo is the commander of the 42nd Infantry Brigade in Tikrit, Iraq.

“"There is no army in the world that is as compassionate nor as capable as the American soldier,†he said. “The enemy is a lot more organized now than he was before, okay? But while the enemy has gotten better organized, so have we. We have had more attacks on the IED's than the first division had; we've had less casualties than the first division had at this time last year. It's a dangerous place, a hostile place, but we're a lot smarter, we're much better equipped now. “

And while someone would ask about the mothers who say “why not just bring my son home and let these Iraqis fight it out amongst themselves,†Gen. Taludo believes that "they're not ready yet. They're just not ready. The Iraqi army and police are not ready in places…in all places.â€

Moving on, we interviewed several members of the general's staff at the unit headquarters in Tikrit.

Lt. Col. Eric Durr is a guardsman from New York who helped with the cleanup of the Trade Center towers in Sept. 2001. He believes Iraq has a lot to do with 9/11.

"I see this as part of a campaign. The first part of it was Afghanistan - those were the guys who attacked us,†Durr said. “I think the second part of the campaign is to try to change the political dynamic of the Middle East. Oh, and, by the way, take out a bad guy who sooner or later could have caused us harm… I think if you show a working, functioning Arab democracy in the Middle East - a pluralistic state, which sets an example that other countries follow."

But how does that make the United States safer? Maj. Andonie tackled that question: "I think in making things more secure for people here, and in Afghanistan - in doing that, we will create a more secure and peaceful world."

From Tikrit we headed south into the city of Samarra, in the Sunni Triangle, to see if the front-line soldiers shared the same views as those in Tikrit. If you are wondering why you have not heard much out of Samarra on the news, one battle-hardened squad leader explains why.

"Reporters are too scared to come into Samarra - it's the Wild, Wild West out there."

Some people at home say it is time to get out of Iraq, but Staff Sgt. Smith disagrees: "What they should do back home is play Sept. 11every single day, and let the people know why we're still here."

One medic on the same base told us that despite the hardship, she has found her time in Iraq meaningful: "It's terrible being away from your family, being exposed to a whole new environment, but it's definitely been a wonderful experience, and I don't think I would trade it."

This is a sentiment echoed by many of the troops that we met: "What we're doing over here is a good thing. We got attacked in 9/11 in New York, and since we went to Afghanistan and then come here, and been fighting them over here, I believe we've been drying up their resources, and it's going to make America a safer place, said Staff Sgt. Nicholson, a platoon sergeant in Samarra.

So what does he think about the war protestors?

"We fight for people's rights over here, and those rights are to be against us or for us. You know, and the same thing in America, people can - they've got the right to have an opinion one way or another, and that's just part of being free in America,†Nicholson added.

"Since 9/11 there has not been any terrorist attacks on the United States,†said Lt. Col. Mark Wald, the commander of the forces in Samarra. "And since 9/11 America has fought the enemy in its own backyard. We are a target and we are going to continue to be a target here in Iraq - to those that believe that America is the infidel. Until they get over that notion, they will always come after us.â€

Further south in the city of Baquba, another medic, Capt. Radcliffe Antoine believes we are working to break the cycle of violence.

"If you look at what breeds terrorism and terrorist activity is lack of understanding for other cultures, and if you think life is hopeless, this is a way of lashing out,†Antoine said. “I think if we instill a democracy, once you get a taste of freedom, then you'd want to spread it.â€

On the same base, Staff Sergeant Layla Elbel works as an interpreter for the base commander, and works closely with the Iraqi people.

"When they see Americans roll into their area, they automatically feel safe. They know we are going to treat them with dignity and respect. More than 90 percent of the people we come across are glad we are here, want our assistance, thank us every day, and cannot thank us enough,†Elbel said. "I believe the war on terror mainly goes back to the freedom. The freedom that the United States of America stands on. We stand for freedom, and that is why our nation is so great.â€

Marion J Chard