1289th Engineers

Received this letter from Laura, the daughter of a 1289th engineer.

First I want to say what a wonderful job you have done with your

website. I have so enjoyed going through it and learning more about

the Engineer Corps. My father was in the 1289th Engineer Corp in WWII

and also in the 79TH Engineer Corp in Korea. I am also trying to put

together his war record during these time frames. Any suggestions as

to where to start would be most helpful. I already have his discharge

papers etc and am fortunate to still have him as a historian. However

his memory, as would be mine, as to specifics has faded. When I get

the information together I would be more than happy to share it with

you. How would I find out more about the 1289th and 79th BNs and where

they were and what they specifically did during these time frames.

Thank you for your dedication and your anticipated help. Laura

--------------------------------------

Good morning Laura:

I have some immediate info for you regarding the 1289th, but I must admit it's not much. I will also check my Corps of Engineers - War Against Germany book later this week and see if I can copy any pages from it for you.

Thank you for your kind words. The site has become a vital source of info for many and I only hope that is will become even more so in the near future as the site grows. Make sure you check out our Message Board too, as we have many vets and others who contribute. The Message Board has become a good source of into for those looking for vets and anything on their units.

The contacts below are listed for these engineer units. Another woman was also looking for info on this unit, but here is what she said, "Thank you for the info...I have been in contact with Mr. Howes in the past, but have not heard from him in a year or so. Hopefully, I will find someone else who has some information. Again, thanks."

Hopefully that doesn't mean he has since passed on. I would suggest that you still give it a try. After all even if he is deceased, you may be able to talk with his descendants. This has often been the route for me.

----------------

1289th Engr (Combat) Bn

Mr. James T Howes 302-265-3304

908 Quail Ln

Newark DE 19711-2604

EMail: howesrus@cs.com

---------------------------

The link listed below is some history written about one of the men in your dad's unit. Maybe his brief story, or even his name might ring a bell with your dear father. You never know.

http://crosscountybank.com/veterans/VETERANS/Stacy,%20George%20W.,%20Jr..htm

Here is the link which can be found in my forum. It gives many sources for research. My strongest suggestion is to contact the Army Corps of Engineers. They were a huge help to me in my research on my dad's unit. Please note that while most units have data there, some have more than others. Once in a while you may run across a unit who's history cannot be found through the ACE, but they are your best bet. They would have info on units from WWII and Korea. If you do contact them and happen to talk with the head historian, Michael Brodhead, please tell him that I sent you.

There is also a fee-based service run by my friend, Richard Horrell, a WWII historian. His link can also be found in my research suggestions.

http://www.6thcorpscombatengineers.com/engforum/index.php?showtopic=23

Give your dad a big hug for me and tell him that I am making sure that their memories NEVER fade away. I would be delighted to create a page for your father in the future and hope you will stay in touch. Please consider joining our forum too.

I will get back with you later regarding any pages that I able to find regarding your dad's WWII unit.

Please note that I am also placing your letter to me and my reply in the forum section, WWII Engineers, in the hope that others may see it and benefit from it and/or contact you.

Warmest regards,

Marion J Chard

Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek

VI Corps, 540th Combat Engineer WWII

Essayons!

Marion J Chard
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

I have also instructed Laura to contact NARA, as I did.

Marion J Chard

Hello and welcome to our WWII forum. I am going to put you in touch with not only Laura, but a gentleman named Toby. I put him in touch with Laura back in August.

Whatever you find out, I hope the three of you will share it with the rest of us, so we can also share it with the world.

I am going to send you a private message with their email addresses.

Kindly,

Marion

Marion J Chard

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  special service engineers & rail engineers Ron Nash 17 586,886 11-15-2012, 10:43 AM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter