Flat Tire - No Spare

flat.jpg

If this is a duplicate of something I posted before, I offer my apologies. I haven't been diligent in keeping records and I couldn't find it on the site.

The picture is one I took in Southern France of my recon jeep and my driver PFC Norman Steele. As platoon leader of the I & R platoon, I had 4 jeeps and 4 good drivers, but Steele was the best! When I was assigned as I & R platoon leader on the Anzio Beachhead in Italy, I was brought up to date by the staff sergeant who had been in acting command since my predecessor was KIA. He told me that the platoon had 4 jeeps and drivers assigned, but they were kept back at service company until needed. He said his driver was PFC Steele and he recommended that I use PFC Perrault. They were the best two drivers. I thanked him and told him I would use PFC Steele and he could use PFC Perrault. Just to get things off on the right foot! It's an action I never had cause to regret!

Flat tires were frequent because the roads and especially intersections, were shelled by the enemy every night. . The razor sharp shell fragments left on the road were very hard on tires. Jeeps were small vehicles and had room for only one spare tire bolted to the back of the vehicle. If you had a second flat, you were stranded as this picture shows.

Russ Cloer - 3_7_I_Recon

Cool photo.

Please explain the French Flag flown on the front of the jeep. Why not an American?

Steve