Farewell Brian Guy - 246 Field Co Royal Engineers

One of our very own, Brian Guy - 246 Field Company Royal Engineers, has passed. He not only took part in our forum, beginning in 2004, but shared his story on our main site. 

Now you've joined a large group of sappers in the sky! Farewell my English friend. M1

After a short illness my army veteran grandfather Brian Guy has passed away in his sleep. He was one of the dwindling number World War 2 veterans still alive.

One of his proudest memories in the war was as a sapper aiding with the capture of Pegasus Bridge in Normandy. He published his memories in his book ‘Cameos of War’.

Injured during the War he had to live with debilitating injuries to his legs, shrapnel in his body amongst other ailments throughout his life but his determination to survive allowed him to reach a grand age into his 90’s.

In the 1980s he was told he only had weeks to live, discharged himself from hospital and through force of will managed to recover and to live alongside my grandmother to this day. Even in failing health he was determined to remain independent.

Brian Guy senior was a proud man who remained devoted to his family and my Grandmother Sheila throughout his life. He was known for his devilish sense of humour and strong sense of character (he would not mind me saying he could be a stubborn git at times).

He will be greatly missed by his family and the service he gave to our country should not be forgotten.

I love you very much Grandad, safe journey to whatever happens next, I hope you are at peace and I will miss you very much my old mate.

James Guy

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Farewell to another WWII Vet - well deserving of the accolades earned in defense against tyranny.

Take your rest, sir. We have the watch.  . .

Maj Todd O. USMC, Retired
Grandson of LTC John O'Brien

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Farewell to Joe Medina- 36th Engineers twobisquit 2 3,572 10-28-2014, 12:51 PM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter
  Farewell 36th Engineers - Jack Stringer & Bud Heil Walt's Daughter 1 3,140 04-29-2012, 01:16 AM
Last Post: CaptO