Happy To Be Here Thank You

Ya, if we had a lot of ones we've sold huh? Oh to go back in a time machine. 

So, you were the (or a) founding member. How did that come about? I just adored the lead singer's voice. So unique. Great band all round. 

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

26 minutes ago, Walt's Daughter said:

Ya, if we had a lot of ones we've sold huh? Oh to go back in a time machine. 

So, you were the (or a) founding member. How did that come about? I just adored the lead singer's voice. So unique. Great band all round. 

Yes Adam definitely has a set of pipes! And he can occasionally write a song as well. We formed in Berkeley in ‘90 so I got in at the beginning. It was a great run due mostly to good timing, management etc.  We were well aware that there were plenty of other bands as good or better than we were but we got lucky! 

I take it you write a lot of songs too. I never actually read who wrote what on the albums. 

Used to be that I could tell you ALL that stuff, years ago. Paid attention to who wrote the lyrics, etc. Now I have too many other things on my brain, so... 

Marion J Chard

58 minutes ago, Walt's Daughter said:

I take it you write a lot of songs too. I never actually read who wrote what on the albums. 

Used to be that I could tell you ALL that stuff, years ago. Paid attention to who wrote the lyrics, etc. Now I have too many other things on my brain, so... 

Lol I can relate. Raising three boys has taken up most of my brain. It was so easy being in a band when I had nothing else to worry about! I still love my classic rock though. My 18-year-old keeps trying to get me into new bands but I’m a bit of a dinosaur! It’s all about the Beatles, Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin etc. I got in on a little bit of co-writing on our catalog but not a lot. And writing is where most of the money is so lesson learned! Adam is credited with over 90% of the publishing on the catalog but he really was a good songwriter and we all believed in him.  I envy a band like Fleetwood Mac though with three songwriters in the band. Or Crosby Stills and Nash or of course the Beatles. It was more of a team experience.  Thing is, I’m not really a songwriter because when I do write something, it’s really hard and feels like pulling teeth.  A true songwriter has a gift and once a week or so, Adam would play a little masterpiece on the piano like “A Long December” and we would hear the whole band in his piano and all come up with our own parts on our instruments. I have another friend like Adam but he’s happier flipping eggs in a café in Berkeley and he’s now in his mid-50s like me. A true musical genius who just didn’t have the urge to make a career out of it. 

On 1/30/2019 at 7:10 AM, Walt's Daughter said:

Hey Matt, I used to play bass in two bands in the Detroit area - Crime Control and Tubes of Fear (and yes, there's a story to how that name came about)! That's me in front with Tubes!

DecBand2.jpg.f75660f26a71485149ac8cdbd02593be.jpg

WWWWWWHHHHHHAAAAATTTTTTTTT?????????!!!!!!!!

How did I not know this about you??!! That is crazy! I'd love to hear some, M1! Bass, huh? I farted around with bass a little when I was a music major at Loyola New Orleans. I was a trombonist so it seemed a natural transition, if any string instrument is a transition from brass! Didn't go very far. . .

Maj Todd O. USMC, Retired
Grandson of LTC John O'Brien

One of M1's many mysteries!!!!   :rolleyes:

Marion J Chard