Kraut POWs

krautpws.jpg

Southern France POWs. Notice that some, having seen the camera, are trying to hide their faces. I don't remember that any guards were necessary. They were now totally docile, just waiting to be fed. Note earlier shell damage to wall behind them.

Russ Cloer

Great photo,when was it taken?

It looks so depressing. My heart goes out to those men. I can't imagine the anguish that they were going through. Can you imagine what went through their minds? Good grief! Not knowing if it would be weeks, or months, or years before they MIGHT be liberated. What holy hell it must have been. :(:(

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Yes Russ: Remember after the 3 day battle for Nurenburg and the droves of Krauts

wanting to surender. We just made sure they were dissarmed and motioned them back

while we went on. Still wonder where they got to, home or a prison camp. I really dont know just who in hell was to pick them up and keep them. We sure didnt have time or

facilities to bother with this amount. Wouldnt wonder if those near home just went home and into the woodwork of civilian life. This was a continual problem till wars end.

I bet most got home before we did.

Photo Southern France POWs: Remember this. That was the 19th German Army Most were Auslander.That had a hard time speaking German. Many were happy to be prisoner. Their collar mark was a SS but not the SS we know. Not being a German citizen they could not be in the Wehrmacht. Theywere in a specaiol branch.

In southern France, wWhen we captured a few Hungerians and one of our company cxould speak to therm they acted like he was a long lost brother.

It was really a case of them not knowing how we treated POWs mamy ate better than when they were in the German Army.

Many Poles in German service that were (willingly) taken PoW in Normandy, ended up fighting in the Polish 1st Armored Division, liberating Belgium and Holland. A guy I know went to Poland to reseach the lives of 6 of them that died subsequently in Holland. Nobody would talk to him about them, as they were still seen as collaborators...