French legion of honor medal?

This was forwarded to me from Al Kincer today. WWII vets please read!

----------

FRENCH LEGION OF HONOR MEDAL: US veterans who helped in the liberation of France during World War II could be eligible to receive the French Legion of Honor Medal in the future. This medal was previously only issued to WWI Vets. The French Government has asked the Secretary of Veterans Affairs for assistance in identifying qualified US veterans for consideration in awarding this medal. It is not the responsibility of the Department of Veterans Affairs to select the veterans. VA only facilitates the communications with the veterans if necessary. The ten French consulates in the U.S. will have involvement in the distribution of the awards in 2005, 2006, etc. Those applying must have written documentation which is normally a copy of his/her military separation order, DD - 214, and other official orders which verifies their military history during combat. Members of the Army, Army Air Corps, Navy, and Coast Guard who participated in one of the four major campaigns in the liberation of France (Normandy, Southern France, Northern France and the Ardennes) are eligible for this French award. Any previous military awards such as the Congressional Medal of Honor, the Silver Star, the Bronze Star, the Purple Heart, etc. would indicate meritorious actions during combat operations. Copies of these documents should be forwarded with the request for consideration for the French Legion of Honor to the Defense Attache, Embassy of France, 4101 Reservoir Road, NW, Washington, DC 20007. These French medals must be approved by the Legion of Honor Committee in Paris, France after appropriate review. Approximately 100 French Legion of Honor medals will be awarded each year in the United States at the home of each veteran or at public ceremony during a patriotic holiday. These arrangements will be made after the awardees have been notified. Additional information can be provided by the French Defense Attache at (202) 944-6502 or FAX (202) 944-6538. [source: VHA Liaison Officer msg. 25 JUN 05]

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

I have a question about this medal. Does the person recieving it have to have medals of service like silver or bronze star or can they be any soldier that served in the European theater? My great uncle served all over Europe and Germany in the Army Air Force as an engineer building air strips. Does he qualify?

Members of the Army, Army Air Corps, Navy, and Coast Guard who participated in one of the four major campaigns in the liberation of France (Normandy, Southern France, Northern France and the Ardennes) are eligible for this French award.

From the above quote, it appears that anyone who served in any part of France would be eligible. I imagine they would have to have received a Campaign Medal in their records to show that they there. To me, IMHO, that would include anyone.

Steve

I just applied for the "FRENCH LEGION OF HONOR MEDAL" for my brother Robert Morneweck. Here is the letter I sent, and Marion look at the end of 3rd line above and last line on the letter

French Defense Attache,Embassy of France (FAX (202) 944-6538

4101 Reservoir Road

NW,Washington, DC 20007

I am requesting the “FRENCH LEGION OF HONOR MEDAL†for my brother

Robert E. Morneweck 36956700 (11-12-25) (04-12-45)

101st Air-borne 506th Infantryman A Company

European-African-Middle Eastern Theater Ribbon with three Bronze Service Stars for patyicipation in the Ardennes, Rhineland, and Central Europe campaigns

Distinguished Unit Badge with one Oak Leaf Cluster.

Bronze Star Medal

Purple Heart with 1 bronze oak leaf cluster Large

Good Conduct Medal

Presidential Unit Citation & Bronze Large oak leaf cluster Large

European-African-Middle Easteran Campaign Medal with 3 bronze service stars

World War 2 Victory Medal

Combat Infantryman Badge 1st award

Honorable Service Lapel Button WW2

Sharpshooter Badge with Rifle Bar

Parachutist Badge-Basic

Arthur L. Morneweck

21604 Sunflower

Novi, Michigan 48375

papa@twmi.rr.com

FAX 1-248-349-7032

papa Art

Marion, Marion I goofed

There is no 3rd line above. It should say

end of line below that starts with "French"

As Red Buttons always said "I never had a dinner" or"I never had a goof"

papa Art

I have a question about this medal. Does the person recieving it have to have medals of service like silver or bronze star or can they be any soldier that served in the European theater? My great uncle served all over Europe and Germany in the Army Air Force as an engineer building air strips. Does he qualify?

They would have had to actually partipate in the actual liberation of France by participating in any of the following campaigns:

Normandy, Southern France, Northern France and the Ardennes. That is the criteria. For further information I would call the number given above.

Don't be disappointed if you don't receive one for your loved ones because remember, they are only giving out 100 per year.

Papa and anyone else, let me know what transpires.

Marion J Chard

Hey thanks for the information. I am going to give it a shot and see what happens. I saw the copy of one letter, do you have any other suggestions on what else should be included besides what is mentioned above?

Spencer

Hillsboro, OR

You're welcome. I still suggest giving that number a call before you send anything out to them. This way you can make sure you have all your "ducks-in-a-row"! :D:D I hate to have you go through it twice because something was inadvertently left out.

Marion J Chard

Thats for sure. I am currently in the process of trying to get my great uncles military records from the achrives. I was disapointed to find out that most of the Armies records may have been destroyed in a fire in 1973. The spread was something like 1912-1956. I couldn't believe that they did not have a back up, it seems that everything those days was on microfish.

I have been finding out a lot of information on sites like this. Thanks

I send you the email of a friend who make partly as me of the "association of the flowers of the memory" Normandy . It's the correspondence that he had with another member of the association.

I put you the copy of their letters and one photo which my profoundly touched!!

To All,

Mr Vauclair is a member of our french association; "" flowers of memory"" He's the sponsor of some US graves buried here....For a long time he's on the track of Lt Brown, MIA nearby the village of Caumont L'éventè..... Nowaday, we know: Lt Brown was arrested and tortured by the Nazis...We suppose he's always buried in a field close to the village of ""La Vacquerie""!!! It's very important for some of you!!! Village of la Vacquerie is located just nearby the village of Vidouville on the way to Saint-Lô.....

Lt Brown was in compagny of Lt shumway.....Lt Shumway's section went on reconnaissance while Lt Brown was recorded MIA (14-6-44).....

Later, Lt Shumway is gone to the Battle of St-Lô, where while he was walking under the ennemy fire a tank exploded in frontof him. He was seriously wounded!!!! (Blind).

Mr Vauclair, has written to the different french personnalities ..and obtain this medal (One of the most important)for this brave Officier.....

J-MARC

Dear Sir, I have just received the photo of my friend lieutenant Shumway makes chevalier of the legion of honor of mister Richald Barberon consul's hands of Franc in Chicago, the operation look at this glance of sufferings aprés cobro, since july 27th, 44 he supported his handicap by forming the young blind persons has future of the managers,if he returns in F it is necessary the met, it's very motivating and we owe him all our gratitude. very friendly H.vauclair

:direct:

I would mean thank you, thanks to all the veterans which came to fight in France to free us.They are the right more than whoever to receive this distinction!!! :heartpump:

veronique

post-11-1158863411_thumb.jpg

Attached Files
.jpg   french_consolate_with_grandpa.jpg (Size: 133.14 KB / Downloads: 0)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  WWII vet reunites with long lost French love - 2019 Walt's Daughter 0 2,396 06-15-2019, 09:24 AM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter
  Dwight D Eisenhower - WWII honor roll Walt's Daughter 2 4,015 10-05-2011, 01:48 PM
  Medal/Ribbon questions Brenda 3 4,356 05-03-2010, 07:44 PM
  Phony paratrooper to be feted by French Walt's Daughter 9 8,915 06-22-2009, 04:03 PM
Last Post: roque_riojas
  French 2nd Armored Division Walt's Daughter 0 2,456 03-09-2009, 10:44 AM
  Something in French CaptO 3 4,990 08-20-2008, 09:20 AM
Last Post: verow
  French Underground Codes Walt's Daughter 4 36,339 10-10-2007, 01:23 PM
  French website - Musee Turckheim-Alsace Walt's Daughter 0 2,322 08-21-2006, 11:26 PM
  Purple Heart Hall of Honor Walt's Daughter 0 2,288 03-24-2006, 10:11 PM
  Dick Winter's medal? Walt's Daughter 10 82,392 06-02-2005, 10:28 PM