48th CE Killed in Action

Al Kincer sent this to me this morning. I am posting this memoriam photo below. Thank you Al and God bless the boys who gave their lives.

----------

Top Row...Rufus E Steifer..Phil Spampanato..Chester Campbell..Rudolph Tisovich..Levi J Jacobs..Dominic T Piscitelli..

Second Row..Keith D Shoefner..Abraham Gardner..Mercer W Clatterbuck..Otto W Steinberg..Thomas F Buckley..Christopher C. Nelson..

Third Row..Vincent Detommaso..Milton Rowland..Joseph J Gromalski..Edward J Nelleny..Frank A Kantz..Charles J. Hermann..Joe C. Specker (Medal of Honor) John E Martin..

Additional orientation guide..at upper left Rufus Steifer has his hands on his hips.

post-6-1122836304_thumb.jpg

Attached Files
.jpg   48thIn_Memoriam.JPG (Size: 97.18 KB / Downloads: 0)
Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Hi Marion,

Do you have anything on these 48 Eng Combat Bn men, buried at Margraten??

SGT CLARENCE CRAMER 37216531 MO 30-Mar-45

PFC LEONARD E WITHEROW 33573825 PA 2-Apr-45

TSGT DALE H NUSS 37425837 IA 11-Apr-45

BTW on the ABMC site Withrow is also mentioned as part of the 148th....

Stevin

Well this is a question for Al Kincer, so Al take it away...
Marion J Chard

From my understanding, you wouldn't find any of the 48th at Margraten because they woudn't have been that far north during their tour of duty in the ETO. I think there is another thread regarding this too, but I was away for couple of days and have fallen behind.

Marion J Chard

Marion...I thought I had given you an answer regarding the "48" Engrs. buried at Margraten...They are not from the 48 Engineers. Their names do not appear in any roster WE have. Yes WE were south of that area. Possibly the 49th. AL

Yes, that's where I read it. Have gotten behind again. Story of my life. :lol::lol:

I will post the info that Stevin and you sent me earlier here. Danka!

Marion J Chard

Witherow also is listed as with the 148th Eng. Bn.

Strange that the AMBC has all them them wrong. I have checked their gravemarkers. Witherow is 148th and the other two 348th.

Sorry for the mix up. I gues sthe ABMC database is a little shakey....

Well that won't be the first time and I'm sure it won't be the last. Just think of all the human error compounded over the years and we're sure to experience "boo-boo's" such as this. Imagine people typing and or handwriting all these types of things into books and databases. There's bound to be some mistakes along the way...

In this case a simple 148th turned into 48th. We can see how easily this can happen. ;)

No need for apologies. Tain't your fault! :lol::lol:

Marion J Chard

I was looking for some information about my uncle Dominic Piscitelli who was killed in WWII. And I came across this post. That was him in the photo! I was extremely excited because my family does not know much information about him. I am looking for any information at all.

So I would like to ask the members of this forum if they have any more information about him, his unit or where I can look next.

Thank you in advance.

Al Kincer sent this to me this morning. I am posting this memoriam photo below. Thank you Al and God bless the boys who gave their lives.

----------

Top Row...Rufus E Steifer..Phil Spampanato..Chester Campbell..Rudolph Tisovich..Levi J Jacobs..Dominic T Piscitelli..

Second Row..Keith D Shoefner..Abraham Gardner..Mercer W Clatterbuck..Otto W Steinberg..Thomas F Buckley..Christopher C. Nelson..

Third Row..Vincent Detommaso..Milton Rowland..Joseph J Gromalski..Edward J Nelleny..Frank A Kantz..Charles J. Hermann..Joe C. Specker (Medal of Honor) John E Martin..

Additional orientation guide..at upper left Rufus Steifer has his hands on his hips.

Great to have you here. As you know, I sent an email to you and to ALL the other 1108th vets and their families, introducing you. I hope you will hear from them. A great bunch of folks.

I look forward to chatting with you and am happy to answer your questions. Must run right now, for I am working in my store...

:drinkin:

Marion J Chard

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Looking for Lt Arthur Peternell - 48th Engineer Walt's Daughter 2 3,255 03-23-2015, 02:22 PM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter
  1108th (48th/235th Bns) Photos Walt's Daughter 9 10,450 02-27-2015, 10:59 AM
  Box of negatives from a 48th Engineer photographer Walt's Daughter 1 2,615 09-04-2014, 10:39 AM
Last Post: CaptO
  B Co, 48th Eng Bn and came home on the Admiral Capps Walt's Daughter 0 2,501 10-07-2012, 12:20 AM
  Joe Specker Medal of Honor - 48th CE Walt's Daughter 4 8,391 05-10-2012, 11:18 AM
  The story of "Sniper" from WE the 48th Walt's Daughter 0 2,327 08-07-2011, 09:22 AM
  Trail of the 48th Walt's Daughter 0 1,873 08-07-2011, 09:05 AM
  COMBAT ENGINEERS IN ACTION afc7883 1 3,732 01-30-2010, 05:09 PM
  Orville O. "Bill" Munson, 48th Combat Engineer Walt's Daughter 2 4,144 07-29-2009, 12:36 PM
  After-action report 121st Eng - 29th Inf Div Walt's Daughter 0 3,856 01-20-2009, 09:09 AM