Camp Butner NC engineer units. Trying to research

Hello,

I just posted my introduction in another thread but I should mention a little here too. I am the curator for the Camp Butner Society and Museum in Butner, North Carolina. I am hoping to locate any histories, digital PDF yearbooks and/or rosters from the engineer units that were at the camp. We are lucky that we have the original quartermaster's log in which he noted all the units that came through which as far as we know, is complete.

The other reason I am hoping to find rosters is because of something very special to us. In the museum we have a little over 800 identified dog tags that have been dug up over the years at the camp. I have cataloged every one and there are 19 soldiers that were killed in action. In the database, I am trying to determine which units each soldier was in and I currently have 30-40% confirmed. It is the smaller units that are hard to determine so rosters would be VERY helpful.

These are the engineer units that were at Camp Butner. Some might have been here for inactivation after the war but not positive which ones as I write this post.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. I can be contacted through here, at butner.museum@gmail.com or our facebook page at http://www.facebook.com/CampButnerSociety

Thanks so much!

Michael

60th Engineer Bn   (35th Infantry Div)

303rd Engineer Bn (78th Infantry Div)

314th Engineer Cbt Bn    (89th Infantry Div)

1133rd Engineer HQ and HQ Co   

1135th Engineer (Com) Group   
1144th Engineers   

1318th Engineer Regt     
1318th Engineer Regt (GS)   
1319th Engineer Regt (GS)   
1324th Engineer cadre   
1489th Engineer Maint Co   

1556th Engineer Cbt Co   
1564th Engineer DT Co   
1699th Engineer Bn   

281st Engineers   
282nd Engineers   
283rd Engineers   

31st Engineer C Bn   

389th Engineer Regt (GS)   

414th Engineer Dump Truck Co.   

500th Engineers LP Co.   

602nd Engineer Cam. Bn.   

632nd Engineer Co.   

762nd Engineer LE Co   
764th Engineer Dump Truck Co.   
765th Engineer Dump Truck Co.   
770th Engineer Dump Truck Co.   

972nd Engineer Co.   

HQ 1112th Engineer Group 

Welcome. That's quite a project!

I do recognize several of the engineer regiments, bns, and companies, so there is some info regarding them on this forum. Hey, it's a start, right? Let's hope some others will join in and provide you with assistance too.

I'd advise to type in the name of a unit in the SEARCH engine at the top right of this site and see what transpires.

All the best, M1

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Oh awesome! In a brief search I discovered a discussion from last year about a couple members donating 292nd yard longs to our museum! They both hang proudly and I will have to get a picture of them on display the next time I'm up there.

Hello and a hearty welcome from members of the 292nd thread!  I and other members will pass along anything that we run across to assist you folks.  Any identified dog tags happen to come from the 292nd?  Thanks for all that you folks do in the Camp Butner Society and down at the Camp Butner Museum!!!

Gary L. Gates

Proud Grandson of Randall Gates
Mechanic, A and H&S Companies, 292nd Engineer Combat Battalion, 1149th Engineer Combat Group

Good morning,

It's been a while since I've posted but wanted to provide an update on the museum progress. We are certainly running strong and never seem to slow down!

The last weekend of April saw 20 volunteers from a local metal detecting club assist us with finding new artifacts for the museum. We spent the entire day in two locations and when we were done, 18 more dog tags were discovered. After researching the owners, I found the units for about half of them. Of those, 1 belonged to the 1019th Engineer Treadway Bridge Company, 1 was with the 31st Engineer Combat Bn, and 1 with the 281st Engineer Combat Bn. We already have 3 dog tags in the archives of soldiers from the 60th Engineer Cbt Bn (35th ID) and 1 from the 314th (89th ID).

I haven't found much for rosters since my post in December but I did just find the 31st Eng Cbt Bn. I am converting it from a pdf to a searchable excel document like I am doing with all our rosters. For each battalion sized roster converted, it takes at least 6 hours of work to correct any OCR errors. So if anyone has a battalion yearbook that has a roster in the back (and they were at Camp Butner) we would be very interested in quality scans of those pages and would be happy to share the completed excel file!

Mike

alltags.jpg

Attached Files
.jpg   alltags.jpg (Size: 1.34 MB / Downloads: 0)

Fantastic news. Thanks so much for the update. Wonderful news about the volunteers that assisted you in the latest finds. Can't wait to see the files. Trust me, I know what a time-consuming job it is. :-)

Marion J Chard

Not to revive dead threads, but the 283rd Engineers were not only a Combat Engineer Battalion (Not just an Engineer Battalion as noted herein) but also trained at Camp Butner. I have a couple of memoirs from my Grandfather who served in A Company I can scan and send in. Tragically, I lost most of it when we lost our home here in a storm, but I still have dog tags I can scan ... one of his dog tags. Would it serve any purpose? 

We do not have dead threads on this forum. All info is pertinent whether it arrives two weeks after a thread is initially posted, or a dozen years later.  :pdt34:

All info shared is greatly appreciated.

Marion J Chard

That's why the forum will always beat FaceBook or other such nonsense! (Yes, I don't like FB!) The best thing about the forum is the archived information. I always enjoy when some one brings up a thread from long ago - especially those with members we have lost over the years (sadly, too many).

For the love of history. . . the first capture from the Internet Archive:

1614907529_4-9-09ForumScreenshot.thumb.JPG.57d3ef92d41007e454d9285c615a9ec3.JPG

Attached Files
.jpg   4-9-09 Forum Screen shot.JPG (Size: 268.87 KB / Downloads: 0)
Maj Todd O. USMC, Retired
Grandson of LTC John O'Brien

Oh that is so cool. A little bit of forum history. And you are right, FB and such has nothing over a true forum. Things are set up so that anyone can find archived information, readily and easily. That's why I also gave up on trying to have a VI Corps presence on Facebook. It's too out of control. There's no structure. Post something and good luck finding it later. So I dumped it. I was making more work for myself. Give me a real web and a forum, any day. If you truly want to maintain an historic database, well, there's no other way. FB, is just social chaos. 

Marion J Chard

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sole Common Camp, England-Which Engineers? warrenkw 20 27,486 01-15-2006, 01:24 PM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter