160th Engineer Combat Battalion WW II ( new member)

On 10/24/2019 at 1:56 PM, Gekko said:

I found my Dad's discharge papers and enlisted record. In researching his military history I found this site. His name was Dominick Tedesco from the Bronx, NY. He passed away in 2001. He was a Tec 5 in Company B of the 160th Engineer Combat Battalion. In researching the site I don't see his name on the company roster or his picture in the Company B group shot. He didn't talk much about his experience in the war but thanks to this site I learned a lot of what he and his fellow soldiers experienced. I've been sending some of the accounts of the war from this site to my son so he now knows what his grandfather experienced. I've attached my Dad's picture in the event that someone out there might have known him.

DTedesco.jpg

That makes me extremely happy. That's what this site is all about- sharing information with the world, so none of this will be forgotten. Thanks for writing and letting me know. Hope the exchange continues. :-)

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

On 10/24/2019 at 12:56 PM, Gekko said:

I found my Dad's discharge papers and enlisted record. In researching his military history I found this site. His name was Dominick Tedesco from the Bronx, NY. He passed away in 2001. He was a Tec 5 in Company B of the 160th Engineer Combat Battalion. In researching the site I don't see his name on the company roster or his picture in the Company B group shot. He didn't talk much about his experience in the war but thanks to this site I learned a lot of what he and his fellow soldiers experienced. I've been sending some of the accounts of the war from this site to my son so he now knows what his grandfather experienced. I've attached my Dad's picture in the event that someone out there might have known him.

DTedesco.jpg

The large group picture was taken in Alabama before deployment to Europe. I believe that the platoon pictures were taken in Europe so you might be able to spot him in some of those pictures if he was assigned after stateside training. 

Gekko, thanks for your post and the picture of your Dad. I have looked in my copy of the 160th ECB book and cannot add any information to yours. I know that there were men in the 160th that were not included in the book.  I know there are pictures from France, Luxembourg, Germany and Austria that are included in the book, but I do not know when the group pictures were taken or when the rosters were made up.

For most of his life my Dad did not talk about his time in the service either. I was blessed that he lived to be 100 years old and in the last few years we talked a lot about those days.

If I learn anything about your Dad, Dominick Tedesco, I will share it. If you learn more please share it with us. Find out everything you can about your Dad's service and put something together for his grandson. Let's never forget what those guys went through for us.

Thanks again, Glen Blasingim.

CaptO, thanks for the reply. I didn't say anything else about my questions because I thought I might have touched on a sensitive subject, maybe something classified. That does answer my questions which were more curiosity than anything else.

I loved the pictures, very interesting. Thanks for adding those.

All retired, you certainly do look young in those pictures. Thanks for your service.

No, nothing sensitive or classified. Only one time (actually, on that first trip) was I ever involved in something secret squirrel-like. And I only was providing security while other, actual secret-squirrel types did the work in question. Further, if I told you what went on you would kind of go, "oh" as opposed to be hanging on every exciting word. Not all secret things are James Bond exciting. Even the US secret network (SIPRNET) isn't that exciting when you look around on it.

As far as looking young there, you're right about that. That was 2004 so 15 years ago as I type this. I really can't believe it's that long ago.

Maj Todd O. USMC, Retired
Grandson of LTC John O'Brien

I love the secret squirrel comments.  :D

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"
Dr. Joseph Wayne Erickson (formerly Joseph W. Erickson, Ssgt., 160th ECB, B Company), gave this cribbage board to my Dad, Edwin Blasingim, in about 1944/1945 when they parted company. Dr. Erickson's son Mark said that his Dad often wrote his initials the way they were written on the cover flap and that the service number belonged to his Dad. Mark said that his Dad taught him how to play cribbage when he was younger.

I recently became the owner of this gift and used the initials to locate Mark ( Joseph Erickson was the only name in the 160th roster that matched these initials). Thanks Mark, for taking the time to reply about this. Thanks for your Dad's service.

Glen Blasingim

Joseph W. Erickson

cribbage board

initials

Camp Rucker Alabama was a new camp when the 160th was there. These three postcards show some of the facilities the U,S. Army used while training there. These postcards were never mailed but intended for O.G. Anderson's wife Lucille to read ( his comments written on back ). The third postcard is shown on the next post.

Theater

Mess Hall

This is the third of the Camp Rucker postcards from the last post.

Post Exchange

The 160th left Fort Ethan Allen in October of 1943 and went to Tennessee. As neutral troops they did road repair and repaired damage done by troops on maneuvers. In December 1943 they moved to Camp Rucker, Alabama. In January 1944 they convoyed back to Tennessee to participate in the maneuvers. In March 1944 they convoyed back to Camp Rucker. these postcards are photographs of some of the things that troops on maneuvers did ( photographed by U.S. Army Signal Corps ). Five are posted here and three more are on the next post.

These postcards were never mailed or never written on. A backside is posted and all backsides are identical.

Robert J. Steinke served in the 160th Engineer Combat Battalion with my Dad.

Sgt.Steinke taking bows with friends at the bridge they recently completed across the Rhine at Mainz.

Robert J. Steinke's Son Doug has been researching about his Dad and is sharing some interesting documents from the U.S. National Archives. Posted here is a report about the Medical Detachment of the 160th. This report gives a clear outline of the deployment of the entire battalion from the time of activation of the battalion, 27 April 1943, until the time they arrived at Utah Beach France, 12 August 1944.

see PDF file next post

.pdf   160th Combat Eng Medical Detachment 6-4-1945.pdf (Size: 357.66 KB / Downloads: 1)

This report was generated by Captain Frank S. Skura of the 160th Medical detachment. Reading this report helped me to realize what a job it was keeping the 160th healthy, in battle or not. The Engineers had some long hard stressful days, not to mention dangerous, that worked them to their limits. The medical soldiers did dangerous work themselves. Somebody had to treat and bring the wounded back. An artillery shell does not know the difference between Medics, Engineers and Infantry.

160th Medical Detachment, Captain Skura is front row, fourth from viewers left.

Medical Detachment roster

Medics at Anzeling, France

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Hello Everyone 257th Combat Engineer rvermar 2 3,377 09-24-2023, 01:50 PM
Last Post: BRosen21
  292nd Engineer Combat Battalion (New Member) arden 617 519,891 05-15-2023, 10:44 AM
Last Post: Sir Gator
  283rd Engineer Combat Battalion (Grandson) 283rdCombatEngineers 3 4,965 06-12-2019, 11:55 AM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter
  1264th Engineer Combat Battalion John 48 58,634 05-28-2019, 12:02 PM
  Great Grandson of WWII Combat Engineer Brendan 1 3,091 10-23-2018, 01:07 PM
  Daughter of an Engineer William (nmi) Carr in the 291st Co B Combat Engineers Hello Everone! blueshockeynut 34 26,632 07-27-2018, 11:08 AM
Last Post: Curlock
  Robert E Waters 291st Combat Engineer Bn golfersa 2 3,987 06-09-2018, 09:41 AM
Last Post: golfersa
  Hello All. Grandson of 292nd Combat Engineer here, Introducing myself. Joel 18 16,993 06-22-2016, 06:26 PM
Last Post: buk2112
  Hello everyone from new member malcal1211 Saddleblanket 8 7,650 08-09-2015, 06:19 AM
  405th Engineer Water Supply Battalion Lloyd 2 8 15,621 06-17-2015, 03:39 PM