160th Engineer Combat Battalion WW II ( new member)

Wow! I have a hard time remembering people I served with two years ago!

I will say, however, I do remember guys from my platoon in Iraq a lot better than others - and that's been 13 years (hard to imagine it's been that long). I imagine that being with the same set of guys for 2-3 years would really sear details into your memory. I was only with my guys from 9 months.

5a2ffadcd5d04_IraqPlatoonNoCover.thumb.JPG.f67b131d2c4b3b7a248ccca92dd46e1a.JPG

Attached Files
.jpg   Iraq Platoon No Cover.JPG (Size: 302.5 KB / Downloads: 0)
Maj Todd O. USMC, Retired
Grandson of LTC John O'Brien

CaptO, is that you in the back? Nice picture, you have been in a lot of organizations in your career, Dad was always in the 160th and some of the guys he remembers were with him from the time the 160th was formed until they left Austria.  I hope there are a few more people out there who can pick out their Dad's , Grandfathers, Uncles or friends in this photograph. There might even be someone who could remember a fellow engineer or two, let's hope.

p.s.- Write it down, it might be valuable to someone soon.

Glen Blasingim

Yep, that's me in the back right. Since the majority of my photos from that trip were digital, I changed the file name for all of the pictures (several hundred!) with either the place or name of the individual/s therein. I made sure to do this within a few months of returning so I would not forget names. I also have a headshot of each of the Marines in my platoon with their name tape showing. I knew that I would want to be able to put names to faces some day!

Maj Todd O. USMC, Retired
Grandson of LTC John O'Brien

That is a great way to remember people you have served with. Your photograph quality is better and being digital it won't fade. That will be appreciated, I already do. I noticed that their are several weapons configurations in the Photograph. I am just curious, what is standard issue? Do Marines have a choice? There is so much available for that gun, I wondered what the Marines found useful and reliable.

Thought I had done this already, so my profuse apologies. This is a file compiled by Doug Steinke.

Marion,

Thanks for your reply. Let me reassure you that I am in no way associated with any kind of spammer or have any political agenda. I did send a paragraph to your general email giving a little of my background interest in your website. I lost my father back in 2001. His name is Robert J. Steinke. He was a sergeant in the 160th Combat Engineers during WWII. Recently I was reading a very well written document from Glen Basingim on your forum website whose father was Edwin Basingim who also served in the 160th Combat Engineers in WWII. My father was in Company "A" and Edwin was in Company "B", they both had the same Battalion commander. When I read Glen's article there are some things I can add to it with documents my father kept from the war like the ship they sailed home on was called the "Europa" a captured German vessel. I can also help Glen identify some of the people in the photos he posted from his fathers campaign book which is identical to my fathers campaign book. 

In addition I have been working on my family tree through Ancestry.com In another discovery, my father had a second cousin to his mother who was a Major General during WWII under General Douglas MacArthur. His name is George Jacob Nold. He was stationed in Alaska during WWI and was in charge of the 10th Army. I have been doing research on him and have a PowerPoint presentation that I could send you as well if you are interested.

Sorry for getting too wordy here but I again want to reassure you I am simply an interested researcher looking for clues to my past.

Please let me know if you need anything else from me and I hope that I meet your criteria to become a site member.

Best Regards,

Doug Steinke 

Robert_J_Steinke_160th_Engineer.pdf

Attached Files
.pdf   Robert_J_Steinke_160th_Engineer.pdf (Size: 5.74 MB / Downloads: 3)
Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

(12MAR18) Thanks Marion, this is great. I will try to get in touch with Doug and see if he will let me put those names to faces in pictures that we have already posted. I hope to learn more about the 160th from him. Keep up the good work.

Glen Blasingim

(23JUN18) I have not been able to get in touch with Doug. I am going to add the names of people that he has identified in pictures that I have already posted. I would like to add something about his Dad and post some pictures of him. I would especially appreciate personal accounts from memories that Doug has of things that his Dad has told him over the years.

Glen Blasingim

My Father Kenneth McBride was in the 160th Co B I have the same photo of Co B that I saw on here. He is #56 in the photo. I;m glad to fing some info as he passed away in 1960 when I was 7 yr old. The only info I have is the photo, the burial record and his Medals. He was wounded somewhere in Europe and lost his arm at the shoulder. If anyone has any info I would be very interested.

On 12/11/2017 at 1:13 PM, glen blasingim said:

This is a photograph of 160th Engineer Combat Battalion, Company B. By the ranks of some of the men in the photograph and by who is in it I estimate that it was taken late summer- early fall 1944. The first photograph is of Dad identifying some of his friends that he remembers after 72 years.

I have numbered each man in the company photograph and have identified the ones that Dad remembered by number. If anyone can put a name to a face please add to the list.

Identified:

3  Blasingim, Edwin N., First Sgt., Chattanooga, Tenn.

19 Rydelski, Chester P., Pfc., Erie, Penn

23 Kallam, Thelbert O., Sgt., Stonefield, N.C.

25 Rydelski, Joseph S., Pfc., Erie, Penn

54 Baxter, Harold G., Tec 5, Pittsburgh, Penn

79 Church, Ray L., Tec 4, Chicago, Illinois

87 Turner, Roby D., Tec 5, Royboro, N.C.

88 Bolek, Joseph W., Sgt., Hammond, Indiana

89 Cannon, Harry A., Sgt. Nzssa, Oregon

92 Wheeler, Gaither J., Ssgt., Tampa, Fla

95 Miller, George J., Tec 4, Terrehaute, Indiana

96 Korol, Benedick P., Pfc., Pittsburgh, Penn

99 Anderson, Oscar G., Tec 5, Indianapolis, Indiana

100 Krum, Irwin, Pfc., Philadelphia, Penn

113 Mayes, Archie S., Major, Warrensburg, Mo

114 Lybarger, Ernest W., 2Lt., Brooklyn, N.Y.

5a2ecc9ce7636_026-Copy(2).thumb.JPG.d64b53ad565d07fa5fea988dd6edde1a.JPG

img370A.thumb.jpg.3f2daf2d17b999f4fed1a04e9ca733bb.jpg

img371A.thumb.jpg.d84edc452cd4c231b39f696a4fa7f6aa.jpg

img372A.thumb.jpg.32a9a0f4d2a902c2e725bc0bfb89df6f.jpg

img373A.thumb.jpg.e7fc2a92aa783d315a5f0b582ac3a255.jpg

img374A.thumb.jpg.bd297473fda5568b96c2df2f66be673f.jpg

img375A.thumb.jpg.0f54070147cc63203e129354f4f3a53c.jpg

My Father is #56 in this photo. Private Kenneth McBride Baltimore, MD. I have this same photo and it has numbers on the back with rank and last name up to number 60 but does not tell how the numbers run.

Welcome to our forum. Wonderful to see yet another person identified in this photo. 

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Michael, it is good to hear from you. We are so glad to know that your Dad, Private Kenneth C. McBride is in this picture and now has his name with his face. My Dad has passed also and probably knew yours. I can't imagine how difficult it was to lose your Dad at such an early age. Thank you for your Dad's service and sacrifice. We are always interested in what he did and where he went in Europe and other places, we want to always remember what was done for us and why we have the freedoms we have today. Be sure to pass his memory along to all the youngsters in your family. Write down what you remember being told and save the keepsakes for someone. My posts have several B company photographs, do you or anyone else recognize your Dad in any other photographs? We are interested in anything you can share about your Dad. Thanks.

Glen Blasingim

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Hello Everyone 257th Combat Engineer rvermar 2 3,380 09-24-2023, 01:50 PM
Last Post: BRosen21
  292nd Engineer Combat Battalion (New Member) arden 617 519,996 05-15-2023, 10:44 AM
Last Post: Sir Gator
  283rd Engineer Combat Battalion (Grandson) 283rdCombatEngineers 3 4,967 06-12-2019, 11:55 AM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter
  1264th Engineer Combat Battalion John 48 58,647 05-28-2019, 12:02 PM
  Great Grandson of WWII Combat Engineer Brendan 1 3,092 10-23-2018, 01:07 PM
  Daughter of an Engineer William (nmi) Carr in the 291st Co B Combat Engineers Hello Everone! blueshockeynut 34 26,662 07-27-2018, 11:08 AM
Last Post: Curlock
  Robert E Waters 291st Combat Engineer Bn golfersa 2 3,991 06-09-2018, 09:41 AM
Last Post: golfersa
  Hello All. Grandson of 292nd Combat Engineer here, Introducing myself. Joel 18 16,995 06-22-2016, 06:26 PM
Last Post: buk2112
  Hello everyone from new member malcal1211 Saddleblanket 8 7,652 08-09-2015, 06:19 AM
  405th Engineer Water Supply Battalion Lloyd 2 8 15,625 06-17-2015, 03:39 PM