John Knowles - 34th Inf Div - Looking for buddies

Received this wonderful letter yesterday. I am more than happy to comply and will share here and other places too. Thanks Joey!

Hi Marion,

I don’t know if you remember me or not but we were in contact several years ago. I am a Historian at The National WWII Museum in New Orleans. I hope things have been going well for you since the last time we were in touch. I am reaching out to you today to see if you could post a link on your website in an effort to assist a combat veteran from the 34th Infantry Division. I know many of the veterans who have posted on your site served in the 34th Infantry Division. The gentleman this article is about , John Knowles of Bonaire, GA, was wounded during combat operations in Italy and sent home. He never saw any of the guys from his outfit again. Now, he is hoping to find some of the guys he served with. Knowles served in Company I, 3rd Battalion, 135th Infantry Regiment, 34th Infantry Division in North Africa and Italy.

I know how passionate you are about our WWII veterans so when I came across this article you were the first person I thought of. Maybe if you can post this story somewhere, one of the 34th ID veterans who visits you site may know Knowles. The link to the article is –

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/news/local/georgia-wwii-veteran-asks-help-finding-long-lost-w/nnKM5/

Thank you,

Joey

Joey Balfour

Historian/Curator for Digitization Processing

The National World War II Museum

945 Magazine Street

New Orleans, LA 70130

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

GREAT NEWS! Received this minutes ago from Pat Skelly, webmaster/historian 34th Inf Div

Marion Chard -

Rather than get involved in the loosey-goosey Facebook, I asked for and got John Knowles' email address from Hope.

I have already sent the latest 34th Infantry Division Association newsletter to John (and Hope), and invited John to (1) attend our 2-3 Oct reunion in Minnesota and (2) join our Association.

A PDF for that newsletter is attached below for your information and pleasure. Please take care, and thanks for the alert.

Pat Skelly
Senior Historian and Archivist
34th Infantry Division Association.

34th inf div Spring Newsletter.pdf

Attached Files
.pdf   34th inf div Spring Newsletter.pdf (Size: 946.46 KB / Downloads: 0)
Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  John J. Kudla henkgerrits 9 10,707 10-02-2019, 03:11 PM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter
  Bernard L. Fosko 35735227 34th Inf. Div. Enrico 17 14,957 03-18-2017, 02:54 PM
Last Post: Markbris
  359th Engineer looking for any buddies who are still alive Walt's Daughter 3 4,467 03-09-2016, 12:03 PM
  Identification of Photo - Walter J Read - 34th Inf Div Terri DuLong 6 5,686 02-18-2013, 12:25 PM
Last Post: Tom
  Sgt Harold Parnell, 34th Inf Div, 135th Inf Rgt majchuckie 7 9,917 10-05-2011, 07:14 AM