Hello All. Grandson of 292nd Combat Engineer here, Introducing myself.

Hello everyone,

I joined this forum more than a year ago when I began researching my grandfather's time in the army. He gave me a copy of his map which was given to him after the war that detailed all the places the 292nd went throughout Europe. There are pictures of ones like it here on this forum. His name is Paul Corzine and he is originally from Karnak Illinois. His brothers Ray and Jim also served at the same time in other sections of the army and he got to meet see each of them one time while they were all in Europe at the same time.

After a year of doing interviews with my grandfather and scanning in some photos, I finally thought it was time to share my photos on here. I'm still working on editing the interviews I've shot with him, but here are pictures which he shot while there. https://www.flickr.com/gp/129969616@N08/7nZA2a On the back of many of the photos he wrote names and such about what was in the picture. I have taken those words verbatim and titled the photos on Flickr the same way. Any photos which are titled "Corzinexxxx" is simply a picture which was not labeled in any way.

Please look through them and let me know if you recognize anyone or have any questions. My grandfather remembers some things very well about them, and some things not so much. I'm currently making a list of all the individuals notated in the photos, and I'll add that to this post later when it's complete so it's searchable by search engines, should anyone look for folks later.

One final note, there are several photos in this album which contain pictures of dead bodies. Most are from the Dachau concentration camp. I have marked those photos as "moderate" on Flickr's safety scale, so if you wish not to view them, please filter accordingly.

Thanks, Glad to meet everyone,

SaM Harrison

https://www.flickr.com/gp/129969616@N08/7nZA2a

Hi Sam and Welcome.

I don't know if you have seen the reference to the 292nd in our "bible" - THE US ARMY IN WW2, The Corps of Engineers, the war against Germany: See pages 497/498. On 498 is a photo of engineers building a foot. bridge on the Roer The 292nd built a Type 70 Bailey Bridge over the Roer too.

You can see this volume online.

Colin.

Hi Colin,

Thanks for the reply. I have seen the reference and the information about the 292nd there. Thanks for reminding me about it. I'm always looking for more things to use in my interview footage with my grandfather. A little about him:

My grandpa, Paul Corzine, was in Headquarters and Service company. He was a supply sergeant. He is 92 now and resides in Metropolis, IL

My great uncle, Julian Mizell (deceased), was in A company in the 292nd. I'm talking to some cousins to find out more info and hopefully some pictures about him.

Looking forward to reading everything you have and talking with you. I'm off at out the door right now, so more later... Just wanted to know how happy I am that you joined. :waving:

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Ah, finally getting around to looking at all the great images you shared. Thanks so much. These are such a treasure, aren't they.

Marion J Chard

Sadly, my grandfather had many more pictures, but when he got married in 1950, his mother (who was a very interesting individual) got rid of many of his pictures in protest because she didn't want him to leave home. Most of these photos that survived were pictures that he sent home to my grandmother while they dated during the war. He was rationed a certain amount of whiskey and cigarettes each week and neither drank or smoked so he used those items as currency to get his laundry done and have photos developed. I'm glad I have these at least.

My mom got rid of my dad's German officer's sword and his Luger. She would never admit was she did till her dying day. I never forgave her for that. I simply can't. But as you say, at least I have what I have and am grateful for that.

Marion J Chard

Sam,

As a new user also, I wanted to welcome you. I, too, am a grandson of a 292nd Engineer, H&S Co. veteran and have also had difficulty in finding much information on the unit. My Grandfather, Randall Gates, volunteered for the Army at the beginning of 1944 despite the fact he had four young sons to support. He came to Europe in Dec of 1944 with the rest of the unit as a mechanic (he was an auto mechanic in civilian life). We have letters that he sent home giving us some info on his service (subject to censoring) and was injured twice, once in a truck accident and once in the bombing of a building that he was in.

Thanks so much for posting the photos that your grandfather took of the unit. They are truly a treasure and makes me feel like I can understand my own grandfather better (he died back in the 70's when I was just a youth). In fact, I believe he was captured in one of the photos you posted entitled "The motor pool gang" (left soldier of the three kneeling).

I would be interested in any information that you may have on the unit (letters, interviews, etc.) and would welcome the chance to exchange anything that I and my siblings may have. I am so happy that there are others searching for info on this little documented unit and the men who were assigned to it.

I am so thankful to have found this forum and you post and for the honor to be able to post and contribute. Thanks.

Gary L. Gates

Proud Grandson of Randall Gates
Mechanic, A and H&S Companies, 292nd Engineer Combat Battalion, 1149th Engineer Combat Group

Gary, glad to have you aboard. There's a ton of great stuff on the boards to look through. It'd be nice to start some conversations again with some new blood. Sometimes it gets a little quite around here!

Maj Todd O. USMC, Retired
Grandson of LTC John O'Brien

Todd,

Thanks so much for your kind words. The search for understanding and honoring of the legacy of those who came before is ongoing and this seems like a great place to continue the search. I look forward tom any long and fruitful conversations in the coming weeks and months.

Gary L. Gates

Proud Grandson of Randall Gates
Mechanic, A and H&S Companies, 292nd Engineer Combat Battalion, 1149th Engineer Combat Group

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  160th Engineer Combat Battalion WW II ( new member) Joe Miga 119 139,537 01-27-2024, 03:45 PM
Last Post: glen blasingim
  Hello Everyone 257th Combat Engineer rvermar 2 3,492 09-24-2023, 01:50 PM
Last Post: BRosen21
  292nd Engineer Combat Battalion (New Member) arden 617 532,830 05-15-2023, 10:44 AM
Last Post: Sir Gator
  283rd Engineer Combat Battalion (Grandson) 283rdCombatEngineers 3 5,086 06-12-2019, 11:55 AM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter
  1264th Engineer Combat Battalion John 48 59,645 05-28-2019, 12:02 PM
  Great Grandson of WWII Combat Engineer Brendan 1 3,164 10-23-2018, 01:07 PM
  Daughter of an Engineer William (nmi) Carr in the 291st Co B Combat Engineers Hello Everone! blueshockeynut 34 27,382 07-27-2018, 11:08 AM
Last Post: Curlock
  Robert E Waters 291st Combat Engineer Bn golfersa 2 4,088 06-09-2018, 09:41 AM
Last Post: golfersa
  Grandson of Commander, 1035th Engineer Detachment dale strickland 1 3,075 05-30-2017, 04:53 PM
  1260 Combat Engineer Battalion Danny 15 18,293 11-24-2014, 08:51 AM