The Battle of the Bulge - 42 movie mistakes

This is funny and sad. Never was a good movie and here are all the mistakes people have found to reiterate that.

The Battle of the Bulge Movie Mistakes

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Lee reminded me of a great Battle of the Bulge movie made in 1949, Battleground

Marion J Chard

If you go to IMDB and look up ANY movie, there are usually a great deal of goofs. Check out your favorite movie of all time, and I bet you will be surprised of all the technical goofs like continuity errors.

Military movies, naturally, are prone to lots of military-related goofs. Perhaps after WWI, you had so many people who had served that they thought they would get it right. I think after the 60s the concept of the military advisor began to get more popular. Anyway, the military is certainly something that you won't get totally right unless you are actually in it. And even within the military there are different communities. For example, I couldn't do a movie, book, etc. about the army and get it right. Heck, I couldn't do a movie about a USMC infantry battalion and get it 100% correct because I haven't served in an infantry unit since 2004. In other words, I do cut people some slack.

Generally, I set my suspension of disbelief bar pretty low when I go to the movies so I can enjoy them. Every now and then, however, it just gets so bad. . . Ever see Battlefield Earth? Don't bother if you haven't, but it is the laughable film made from the L. Ron Hubbard book by John Travolta. To cut to the military related part - in the year 3000, aliens are mean to humans and some of the humans escape and . . . (drum roll) . . . . learn to fly AV-8B Harrier jump jets. . . . in a week. . . . and use several of them against the mean aliens. Really.

I can't believe that no one in the room said, "Mr. Travolta, do think that ANYONE will not chuckle when the movie shows 1000 year old airplanes actually working?" When I was on the MEU we had several AV-8Bs with us normally and we had hard enough time keeping them operational when we had a crew of Marines working on them 12 hours a day. Let alone what metal fatigue would do to an aluminum aircraft over 1000 years. And I am sure JP-8 jet fuel would be totally good to go after 1000 years. Perhaps they used STA-BIL.

IMG_2793.JPG

Real life

17.jpg

Fantasy!

Maj Todd O. USMC, Retired
Grandson of LTC John O'Brien

Oh ya, I do cut movies some slack. Man, you have to, but the Battle of the Bulge movie, simply wasn't a good movie. LOL

People DO bug me when they nit-pick though. Just had a guy slamming the hell out of Saving Private Ryan. I'm like dude, c'mon!

Marion J Chard

Yes, SPR was not necessarily the best movie ever made, but it was a good one. I also am in favor of any movie that gets the nation's interest built up about the things I I love. This and Band of Brothers (and to a lesser extent The Pacific) made people have WWII in the forefront of their thoughts again if only for a while. And let's face it - our population has no imagination any more. If they don't SEE something now a days, then by gosh it must not be real! Take the football player punching his wife. It wasn't enough that we had video of her walking in on her own power and then had video carrying her out. We had to see video of her being PUNCHED to really get mad.

READ A BOOK NOW AND THEN PEOPLE!!!

Also, I added pictures to the post above since I can't do that at work for some reason.

Maj Todd O. USMC, Retired
Grandson of LTC John O'Brien

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Churchill - new movie trailer Walt's Daughter 2 4,279 05-25-2017, 06:34 PM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter
  The Mighty Eighth Official Teaser #1 (2014) - War Movie HD sixgun 0 2,982 10-09-2014, 08:49 AM
Last Post: sixgun
  Battle for Monte Cassino Walt's Daughter 5 7,073 08-17-2012, 06:30 AM
Last Post: colinhotham
  bedford the movie bas timmers 2 4,407 09-07-2009, 12:38 PM
Last Post: bas timmers
  Valkyrie (the new movie that opened Dec. 25th) afc7883 10 10,791 08-10-2009, 03:46 PM
Last Post: Dogdaddy
  Silent Night Movie Ladd 4 8,112 12-02-2008, 10:22 AM
  Battle of the Bulge - American Experience Walt's Daughter 4 6,069 09-20-2007, 03:18 PM
Last Post: Dogdaddy
  World War II movie lists Walt's Daughter 11 10,972 01-23-2007, 12:30 AM
  Battle for Sicily Walt's Daughter 0 2,738 12-17-2006, 11:18 AM
  Alaska's Bloodiest battle Walt's Daughter 9 11,460 03-29-2006, 08:44 AM