Passing of PFC Bert W. Zimmerman, 1264 ECB

PFC Bert William Zimmerman died April 20, 2015 just 6 weeks short of his 95th birthday. He was a truck driver in Company B. 1264th Engineer Combat Battalion, He was drafted from Fenton, Michigan in April 1944. In 1956 he moved to Phoenix, Arizona where he worked as a machinist in the aircraft industry. After retiring in 1991, he left the heat of the desert and moved to Coos Bay, Oregon where he lived the remainder of his life. When his son, Air Force Chaplain Donald Zimmerman was stationed at Ramstein Air Base, Germany he returned to Germany for the first time since the war. He visited Bad Godesberg where he helped build the bridge across the Rhine River after the bridge at Remagen fell.

I am so sorry to hear this, but grateful that you posted in memory of Bert. I would like to express my condolences to all his family, friends and fellow members of the 1264th.

Rest in peace!

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Rest in peace, sir!

Maj Todd O. USMC, Retired
Grandson of LTC John O'Brien

Thank you so for posting the passing of PFC Bert William Zimmerman. May he rest in peace. My condolences to his family & friends.

I recently joined this forum, quite delighted to find you all.

My Dad was Kenneth Zino [1923-2002]. Ken served as a Sgt in the Army Corps of Engineers in WWII in the 1264th Engineer Combat Battalion, Company B, 1st Squad, 1st Platoon. He was from Rosedale, Queens (Long Island), New York. He did his basic training at Camp Bowie, TX Feb 1943 and was sent to study Engineering at Purdue University in Sept 1943. He served overseas in Europe with the unit, returning home from Antwerp to NYC aboard the William & Mary Victory on 26 Feb 1946.

I found photos with his Army papers/photos/items and one includes Bert Zimmerman! This particular group photo has 4 rows with a total of 37 men. "Zimmerman" is in the 1st row, 3rd from the right! I assume this is a photo of Company B 1st Platoon, although I am not sure. It has a list of last names but is not dated or labelled. I will provide the list of names below. Under the list of last names he added a note that said "I was in Brussels" so he is not in the photo. I have a photo he sent his mother from Brussels marked "Three Glorious Days" May 1945 so I'm assuming that is when the group photo was taken. btw, for anyone in the 1264th Company B who has photos, Ken Zino wore wired rimmed glasses, he was thin and ~ 6 ft tall. (I think there were 2 of them with wire rimmed glasses). Over time I will get photos scanned to be able to share.

Note too "Jones" below, Sherrill posted a terrific article about his service on a separate thread!

=======================================

1st Row - Left to Right

Soboj, Gemma, Spear, White, Dean, Gamble, Zimmerman, Mortensen, Flint

2nd row

Warner, Miller, Jones, Vincent, Lund, Smith, Mancuso, Nap, Poore

3rd row

Ernst, Williams, Miller, Gerling, Bizick, Switzer, Lee, Wright, Breeding,

4th row

Parisi, Karp, Mills, Flynt, Foster, Fox, Brown, DeFiglio, Lucero, Cronin

Missing from Photo: Zino (he was in Brussels)

=======================================

PS: My Dad saved his "Lance" yearbook from St. Augustine's in Brooklyn, NY. He was Class of 1942. It listed "Camera Club" as one of his activities and he worked on the yearbook. So I guess he was "trained" to write down names on group photos! :)

-barbara

Welcome to the forum. I enjoyed your email reply the other day.

Ah, for some reason your photos did not post. Can you try again? Many thanks. :pdt12:

Marion J Chard

Marilyn - When I get the photo scanned, I will post it. Sorry for the confusion. -barbara

Oh gotcha! Sorry that is my fault, for I read through it very quickly in between outdoor chores today. :pdt12:

Marion J Chard

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The passing of Carl Furtado - 36th Combat Engineer Walt's Daughter 16 15,824 12-08-2016, 05:34 PM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter
  The passing of Armonde Casagrande - 343rd Engineer Walt's Daughter 1 3,858 05-16-2016, 02:51 PM
  The passing of Joseph Walter Miller - 36th Combat Engineer Walt's Daughter 0 2,323 11-21-2014, 01:43 PM
  The passing of Howard Huebner - 82nd Airborne Div Walt's Daughter 1 3,077 11-19-2014, 03:13 PM
  The passing of Clancy Lyall - 506th PIR Walt's Daughter 0 2,396 03-20-2012, 08:51 AM
  Passing - Peter B. Calhoun - 8th Beach Battalion Walt's Daughter 1 3,009 03-10-2011, 10:25 AM
  The passing of Art Cook, 36th Combat Engineer Walt's Daughter 5 5,596 10-19-2010, 10:56 PM
Last Post: CaptO
  The passing of Wilbur Thomas Dickens Walt's Daughter 0 2,279 07-30-2010, 08:32 AM
  The passing of Donald Griffin - 36th Engineer Walt's Daughter 0 2,545 01-30-2010, 10:02 AM
  The passing of James Bird - 45th Infantry Walt's Daughter 0 2,414 01-10-2010, 09:52 AM