3051st Engineers

Looking up info on the 3051st, for a new member of our forum.

Here is a PDF which shows them as part of the Ninth Army in December of 1944

I can't find a lot on this unit right off, but will continue researching. If anyone can add to this, please post below.

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Saw an entry on the website of an 82nd Engineer. He states:

...In early June, while in Rouen France, we received word that would that would bring an end to the 82nd’s current organization!

To facilitate the return of over five million men who had entered the E.T.O since D-Day, the army devised a point system, based primarily on length of service. The 82nd Engineer Combat Battalion was designated to receive men who had higher discharge points, for early return to the States The majority of us, now serving with the 82nd, had not accumulated sufficient points so we were transferred to other units.

(In my case; I was transferred to Epernay, France and assigned to the 3051st Amphibious. Engineers as a platoon sergeant. One of the officers, A captain that I knew, also from the 82nd, became my new CO. I recall clearly our first briefing. He told us that upon the reorganization of the 3051st we would be sent back to the states for a 30 day leave, more training, and deployment to the Pacific. He ended the briefing by saying " Frankly Gentlemen we're going to hit the beaches in Japan". Not good News!)

Here's his website

Marion J Chard

Found an interview with an engineer by the name of, Harry Bradish, a 3051st Engineer. It's only four pages in length, but hey we found something!

Found another entry. This one for a Charles Hosmer Bedingfield, Jr. He was the CO of the 3051st. Looks like you would have to contact the Veteran's History Project via their website, to find out how you could access these files.

Marion J Chard

You can contact the Eisenhower Archives, for they have info on this unit in their collection, which is contained in Box 711.

Marion J Chard

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  special service engineers & rail engineers Ron Nash 17 586,595 11-15-2012, 10:43 AM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter