Farewell Jim Hennessy - 87 Infantry Division WWII

Wow, this is one of the toughest ones yet.

Many of you knew Jim, since he was also a forum member. He was one of my earliest contacts, when I started my website. Words will not suffice. How do you wrap someone up in a few simple paragraphs? You can't!

Sigh! I was out celebrating my birthday, when news arrived from "Jimbeau", one of Jim's sons, that Jim had passed away. Oh, what a shock! It was unexpected and sudden. I had just responded to one of his emails, the day before. While I was very sad and broke out into tears, I couldn't help to think about Jim's great sense of humor, and looked up to the sky, saying, "Nice going Jim, you passed away on my birthday, just to ensure that I would never forget you!" Trust me, he was looking down at me with that big grin on his face. That was who he was.

Words cannot express my sense of loss, for we were very close and wrote to each other all the time. He would send me pics of himself, enjoying simple, everyday moments like eating pizza. Cute!

My life will be a lonelier place without you my friend, but it was also a richer one, because of you. Love ya forever! M

Obituary

My loving condolences to his entire family! Special shout-out to his son "Jimbeau", who kept in constant contact. You are definitely your father's son! I look forward to our continued friendship and correspondence. Please send my love to your mother.

http://www.6thcorpscombatengineers.com/JamesHennessey.htm

post-2-0-64709000-1429795459_thumb.gif

Attached Files
.gif   Hennessey.gif (Size: 77.31 KB / Downloads: 0)
Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Oh Marion, I know this is a hard one for you. I had been visiting my folks in Dallas (first time in 3 years) for the last 12 days so I hadn't checked in to the forum lately. When I checked just now, this was the first topic I saw and my heart went out to you. I know how close you two and that this would be one of the hardest of all. My thoughts and prayers go out to you, Jim, and all those who will feel his loss.

Jim, rest well, sir.

Maj Todd O. USMC, Retired
Grandson of LTC John O'Brien

Thanks Todd. It's nice to be able to talk to someone about it. Ya, taking it pretty hard. I was fine this morning until I read your post and then it all comes flooding back, but that's okay.

Funny thing, I keep scanning Gmail to see if he wrote today. That's going to take a long time to get used to.

For the last several years, I make sure to keep all the emails from the guys. I archive them, for they are all so precious. It's warming to go back and open a few every now and then. Comforting.

Hugs, M

Marion J Chard

Got this yesterday. It was nice to hear from Jay.

Hi Marion,
I'm not sure you'd remember me, but about 10 years ago, I had been in touch with you regarding this letter and story that you'd posted on your website about my Grandpa. ( http://www.6thcorpscombatengineers.com/HenryCompton.htm )
I know you had been in close touch with Jim Hennessey over the past few years, I don't know if it had been a while, but I wanted to let you know that I received the notice of his obituary from his son today which you can find attached to this link. http://www.migliacciofuneralhome.com/memsol.cgi?user_id=1565322
I hope all is well with you and please keep in touch,
Best,
cleardot.gif
Jay

Marion J Chard

Aww, couldn't sleep, so here I am at 3 am...

I finally decided to get out of bed. Might as well write down my latest ideas for another children's book, which have been rattling around in my brain. Went to open my word file to jot down some notes, so I wouldn't forget when I actually set pen to paper (er, well, fingers to keypad)! That's when I saw a flash from my Windows 10 screen, reminding me that today would have been Jim Hennessey's birthday. Sigh!

I miss that man and his great sense of humor. He was always sending me pictures of himself and making me laugh. He'd throw in a favorite song and include a few lines of lyrics. He loved the Beatles. He had very electric taste in music - sometimes it would be an Irish tune or he'd be singing Imagine by John Lennon. He was one of a kind and I never knew what to expect from him.

So Jim, you were probably the one to wake me up this morning, and I forgive you! 'They say it's your birthday, it's my birthday too, ya...'

Here's to ya buddy! Love and miss ya, Mare

:drinkin:

Marion J Chard

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Farewell to First Lt. James H. Dahlmann 187th First Combat Division rrh0325 2 4,030 11-30-2015, 07:49 AM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter
  Farewell Eugene Schlicher - 36th Engineer WWII Walt's Daughter 0 2,248 04-02-2015, 06:27 AM
  Farewell David Henry Lynn - 11th Armored Division Walt's Daughter 1 3,108 12-12-2013, 09:37 AM
  Farewell Mitch Kaidy - 87th Infantry Division Walt's Daughter 1 3,244 01-28-2013, 12:48 PM
  Farewell Reese Arnold “Blues” Brantner - 87th Infantry Division Walt's Daughter 1 3,676 11-14-2012, 03:03 AM
Last Post: CaptO
  Farewell Charles P. Murray, Jr. - 30th Infantry Regiment(M.O.H.) moose 1 3,132 09-17-2012, 10:20 AM
  Farewell Russell E. Dunham - 30th Infantry Regiment(M.O.H.) moose 1 3,408 09-17-2012, 10:19 AM
  Farewell Van T. Barfoot - 157th Infantry Regiment(M.O.H.) moose 2 3,730 09-17-2012, 10:19 AM
  Farewell Tom Nokes - 36th Combat Engineer WWII Walt's Daughter 4 5,019 05-31-2012, 11:42 AM
  Farewell Thomas F. Hiestand - WWII engineer Walt's Daughter 0 2,236 05-12-2012, 08:51 AM