1251st Engineering Combat Corp

My father was in the 1251st and before they were stationed at Top Hat at the end of the war they were used to help clean up at a concentration camp. He has pictures that he took of the camp but there's no reference of it in the companies handbook. Does anyone know which camp they were at?

Hmmm, let me look into this. I cannot recall if I have specific details. I will get back with you.

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Thanks, my father had many pictures of the camp the and the work they were doing, mostly creating mass graves. He never talked much of the war other then some of the funny things that happened but he did say he could smell the camp for miles before getting there. The pictures of the dead were horrible to see what the Nazi's had done there.

I added your name to my 1251st Email list and forwarded your request. I hope someone will have an answer to your question.

Marion J Chard

Okay I downloaded, collated and turned all the files into one PDF file. So here we go and thank you William.

The Annual Manual - EM -1251

Marion J Chard

WWII Camp - Top Hat Times

WWII Camp Tophat Times.pdf

Attached Files
.pdf   WWII Camp Tophat Times.pdf (Size: 1.08 MB / Downloads: 5)
Marion J Chard

Thanks, I have the Annual Manual of the 1251st but not the Top Hat Times. I still do not see and references to the cleanup at the concentration camp. Everything shows what the did during the war and the work at Top Hat after V-E day but that's it.

Other members said they know of no references to the concentration camps. The only way to get more info is to contact NARA in Maryland.

Marion J Chard

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A Company 347th Combat Engineering Les Bradley 7 8,558 09-11-2012, 12:51 AM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter