aircraft carriers on lake michigan

For you World War II buffs out there who might not have heard about this - really interesting....Was sent the following by my friend Karl, from Germany/
Lake Michigan Aircraft Carriers....
The Great Lakes provided vital support for the war effort in WWII, from building 28 fleet subs in Manitowoc to providing the bulk of US industrial output, we could not have won the war if not for the benefits of the Great Lakes and their related industry.
However there was another benefit of the lakes that is often overlooked. Japan quickly lost the war because, among many other things, its navy could not replace its carrier pilot losses. We could. But how did we train so many pilots in both comfort (calm seas) and safety (no enemy subs)? We took two old side-wheel Great Lakes passenger steamers and turned them into training carriers on Lake Michigan! Virtually every carrier pilot trained in the war got his landing training on these amazing ships! Sadly nothing, but these great photos and the wrecks of the aircraft that ditched alongside them, remain to tell their fascinating story!
Check this out! USS Sable and USS Wolverine ...
http://warbirdinformationexchange.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=48962

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Those were cool pictures. I had never seen those before. Lots of mishaps, huh? I was wondering just the other day how people weren't constantly killed on decks full of spinning propellers. My guess is that a lot were.

Maj Todd O. USMC, Retired
Grandson of LTC John O'Brien

Oh ya and when I locate Lee's dad's photos (somewhere in the house), I will post the ones of his accident on a carrier. Pretty scary!

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Search for detailed information about Allied Aircraft Crashes in The Netherlands in WWII Clinton Dill 0 2,090 01-29-2012, 02:08 PM
Last Post: Clinton Dill
  American House honors 3 WWII vets - Michigan Walt's Daughter 0 2,198 09-23-2009, 09:11 AM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter
  A Salute to Veterans - Michigan Event June 2007 Walt's Daughter 5 4,673 06-30-2007, 10:54 PM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter
  Okay counting on all aircraft enthusiasts Walt's Daughter 1 91,596 11-18-2004, 10:19 AM
Last Post: Bader40