My letter to Frank - Stars and Stripes - Dec 25, 1944

Already received a wonderful reply from Bob Kline, WWII.USMC. I decided to share my letter to Frank, with all my WWII vets, via email. I look forward to their responses, Many thanks for your email, Bob.

Hi Marion,

Just read your fine letter to Frank. Even in War, some people get breaks. As I look back at it, I was so lucky to be sent to the South Pacific. The jungles and swamps were a pain, but it was warm. I had been so cold on bivouac back in North Carolina so I really appreciated the warm weather. I think most would rather be too hot than too cold.

And Christmas away from home is bad enough but to go through the Holidays in the conditions Frank and his group did was terrible. I came across my home away from home the Christmas of '44. It was Guam, the Campaign was over, we were resting a bit. Hey, it wasn't very glamorous but it kept us dry.

It's fun to reminisce now, but back then it was all bitchin'. Nothing was nice, good, comfortable, pleasant in any way. The lucky ones came through it OK and can now fondly remember the few good times, and forget the crappy times.

Hope you're up and out from under those covers by now, and urge you to make it a good day.

Bob Kline, WWII/U.S. Marines

Hey, I had a Birthday SAT - 89 and still going, a little slower, but still going. I can remember sitting on my locker box at 4:30 on a cold FEB morn in 1942, thinking I would never get to be 18 years old, just didn't see how I could survive 17 weeks of Parris Island Boot Camp. I did, and am still going.

post-2-0-84088000-1389882966_thumb.jpg

Attached Files
.jpg   Bob Kline.jpg (Size: 10.94 KB / Downloads: 0)
Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Messages In This Thread
My letter to Frank - Stars and Stripes - Dec 25, 1944 - by Walt's Daughter - 01-16-2014, 11:36 AM