MANUEL C. ZUNIGA - 28th Inf Div

Received this letter a few weeks ago. Have gotten in touch with him, including sending him the contact info for my researcher, Carolyn.

Attached is a copy of the men who were named for a CIB.

DEAR MARION CHEERS FOR YOUR WEB SITE.

MY FATHER P.F.C. MANUEL C. ZUNIGA 28TH. INF. HEAD QUARTERS CO. 112TH. CO. D ANTI-TANK GUNNER HIS.MEDALS WERE STOLEN AND HE TRIED BEFORE HE PASSED THRU THE V.A. TO GET HIS MEDALS BUT THEY DID NOT EVEN TRY THEY TOLD HIM THERE WAS A FIRE IN 1973 THAT DESTROYED HIS RECORDS.

MY FATHER LANDED JUNE 8,1944 OMAHA BEACH AND FOUGHT IN 5 CAMPAIGNS, THRU MORNING REPORTS I CAN FOLLOW HIS ENTIRE ARMY DAYS BUT THERE IS A GAP FROM APRIL-1944 TO AUGUST 1944 HIS DD214 SHOWS A SEPT. DATE AND HE DID NOT CORRECT THE PERSON ENTERING THIS INFORMATION BECAUSE THE MAJORITY OF THE 28TH. DID NOT LAND OMAHA BEACH UNTIL JULY26TH . BUT HE WAS THERE. WITH 112TH. COMPANY D.

I HAVE 2 QUESTIONS IF YOU COULD GIVE ME CONTACT INFO FOR YOUR RESEARCHER BECAUSE THE PERSON I HIRED SAID IT WAS NOT POSSIBLE TO FIND WHERE HE WENT.DSURING THE TIME PERIOD IAM REQUESTING.

I HAVE RECEIVED 3 BRONZE STARS AND SOME OTHER MEDALS BUT IT HAS TAKEN A YEAR TO GET THESE AND IT IS NOT RIGHT HOW THEY HAVE TREATED MY FATHER AS HE FOUGHT AND HELPED HIS UNIT IN A LOT OF WAYS. THE BRONZE STARS WERE SENT BY MAIL AND NOT WHILE HE WAS ALIVE, HE PASSED IN 2000.

QUESTION NUMBER TWO AS TO DO WITH A DOCUMENT I RECEIVED FROM NARA 2 IT IS A LIST OF SOLDIERS IN THE 28 TH. INFANTRY 112 TH. REGIMENT THAT SHOWS THERE CIB AWARD AND WHEN THEY EARNED THEM THERE ARE OVER 200 NAMES IF YOU WOULD LIKE ME TO SEND THIS LIST PLEASE LET ME KNOW?

SINCERELY,

ROBERT ZUNIGA

112th Inf - awards for CIB.pdf

Attached Files
.pdf   112th Inf - awards for CIB.pdf (Size: 1.34 MB / Downloads: 1)
Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

I talked with Robert for a very long time on the phone today, and I'm positive he will find all the answers to his questions, for he like I, has a tenacious spirit, and he won't give up until he can fill in the blanks, currently missing from his dad's service.

He has come a long way and feels great about all he has accomplished during his research into his father over the last dozen years or so. However, he has also come upon many stumbling blocks, as many of us have experienced. But as we all know, you keep going and keep knocking on doors until your are exhausted, in order to fill in that last piece of the puzzle.

So here's to your father, and here's to you for all that you do to keep his history alive for the ages. :clappin2:

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  George Mergenthaler - 28th Division Big Pete 4 7,434 06-03-2007, 06:52 PM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter