The venerable jeep

Thanks Joe for posting the pic of me in my jeep.

I was platoon leader of the 7th Infantry I and R platoon, (Intelligence and Reconnaisance) through 6 campaigns in WWII. Our principal job was to patrol ahead of the regiment to find the enemy (when he was withdrawing) and report on his strength and position.

The picture, which is shown in my bio above, thanks to J3rdinf, (my buddy who served in the same regiment in WWII), shows me and my driver in a wooded area in Italy. The driver is PFC Leo Perrault. Note the 50 cal machine gun on a centrally located mount and the canvas cover on the windshield which was always in the down position to avoid reflecting light.. It bulges, because the drivers used it as their footlocker. The windshield was never put up and if it were, you couldn't see through it because the shatter proof glass was all cracked by hard objects in the drivers "foot locker," including one or more bottles of "vino". Two men in the back seat would operate the machine gun as needed. The angle iron wire cutter welded to the front bumper, does not, unfortunately show in this picture. I don't remember ever seeing a canvas top and of course there were no side or rear windows!

I had four of these jeeps in my platoon and they were invaluable in fluid situations. They and the drivers were usually kept at the rear CP motor pool and would come forward when I called for them. They had four wheel drive and a low range gear box when needed and would go anywhere!

Please don't conclude that I never walked! There were as many foot patrols as jeep patrols, but those jeeps were a treasure!

I vividly remember one incident in France. The Krauts were withdrawing and I was sent to find out where they were. We were on a wooded dirt road and as we rounded a bend, there came a French sedan, up close, coming toward us. In it, I could see there were 3 German officers and a driver. Their driver backed up into a K turn to escape. I ordered my gunner to fire and the 50 caliber MG raked the car from end to end. All four of the occupants were killed instantly. I remember the puffs of dust that rose as each bullet penetrated the old sedan.

Russ Cloer, (WWII Lt. and Cpt., 7th Inf, 3rd Inf Div), 6 campaigns in WWII in Italy, France and Germany.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  1942 photo Dad & jeep arve 2 5,078 10-04-2007, 01:09 PM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter
  The venerable jeep curtdol 2 102,796 06-27-2005, 08:28 PM
Last Post: j3rdinf