Farewell David Wagner - 39th Engineer

You can't dispute it, my nature we are drawn to some people more than others and this was no exception.

It took me DAYS to post this, for when I do, it makes it SO final. Does anyone else feel that way too. It's as though if you don't talk about it and don't write about it, he is still here...

I shall miss you TREMENDOUSLY, David Wagner. I am filling up with tears as I write this. I hate this, I really do.

David and I (and his dear wife, Selma), became very, very close over the last 8 years. David was one of my first contacts and we talked via email and phone, frequently. I shall miss hearing his sweet voice and words. Hard to believe I shant hear from him again. But I have very good memories and will be able to hear his voice in my documentary. So glad I got his story.

Selma called me the very next day and left a message telling me of his passing. It took me two days to call her back because...

She told me, "David thought the world of you.." Oh how my heart ached.

So to my wonderful friend. I love you and shall never, never forget you. :( :( :(

http://www.6thcorpscombatengineers.com/DavidWagner.htm

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Marion, I know for you the heartache goes on and with the passing of each WWII vet we both sit and realise how much we all owe these men. I can only pay tribute to many of them I never met or even knew of, but my connection with the US Combat Engineers and you brings home to me our loss.

Colin.

Colin -

I know you of all people would understand this, but sometimes I don't want to make a new friend. What, everyone is saying??? It's just that sometimes I'm scared to become friends with a WWII vet, only knowing that our time together is very short. I guess you can equate that with an army squadron, who get a replacement in their unit, while fighting a war. They don't even want to make friends with the guy, for they realize that within hours or days, the guy will probably not make it, so they try and harden their hearts.

Of COURSE I do want to keep being introduced to veterans, but it just keeps getting more difficult for me. I guess it's a "job hazard", and one you have to accept...

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Marion,

It is very sad and I understand your feeling of apprehension. I had that pang when I found out I was coming here a year and a half ago. I knew that even if the gentlemen I met at the reunion in 2011 were still around, they would be unlikely to be able to travel after 3 more years passed. I have also noticed that our WWII vets have dropped of the forum gradually. I believe there were about 5 regular contributors when I joined in 2007. It seems like a microcosm of the country (and world) at large. I was pleased to see the outcry when the WWII memorial was blocked off from visitors. At least people still care enough to be outraged by something like that.

Todd

Rest in peace, sir!!

Maj Todd O. USMC, Retired
Grandson of LTC John O'Brien

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Farewell Capt John Fallon 36th Engineer PDP2020 2 4,777 10-25-2021, 10:09 PM
Last Post: CaptO
  Farewell Tony Stefanelli - 36th Combat Engineer Walt's Daughter 4 7,056 08-09-2018, 10:47 AM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter
  Farewell to Vincent J. Consiglio - 291st Engineer Walt's Daughter 4 8,935 11-25-2017, 09:51 AM
  Farewell Bob Feland - 540th Combat Engineer Walt's Daughter 1 4,720 08-27-2017, 06:24 PM
  Farewell Chief David Beautiful Bald Eagle-82nd Airborne buk2112 2 4,779 07-29-2016, 12:54 PM
  Farewell Louis J. Slonina - 148th Engineer Walt's Daughter 1 5,079 05-27-2016, 06:54 PM
Last Post: buk2112
  Farewell Marty Marsh - 36th Engineer Walt's Daughter 4 6,064 02-29-2016, 09:28 PM
  Farewell John Sefko - 36th Engineer Walt's Daughter 0 3,423 02-23-2016, 09:35 AM
  Farewell Joe Izzillo - 394th Engineer Walt's Daughter 4 5,881 01-24-2016, 03:29 AM
  Farewell Don Walters - 36th Engineer Walt's Daughter 5 7,354 08-18-2015, 11:03 PM