Ruben Cohen - 38th Engineer

I am so delighted to see this wonderful exchange between the two of you. This is what makes the forum a special place. Sometimes things fall together immediately. Sometimes it takes years, but the bonding still occurs. Warms my heart.

Sarge, please note that NARA in St Louis isn't the only place to retrieve info on our loved ones. I obtained my father's discharge papers from his local VA. Please see my instructions on how to obtain information in my RESEARCH section. Hope that helps you.

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

I vividly recall Lancaster maybe because there was so much for a kid to do.  We stayed at a motel called the Congress Inn and went to an amusement park called Dutch Wonderland. I just checked and both of them are still in business today!

Researching the 38th I came up with a bunch of references that wrote about the “38th less band”. I don’t think my father was in that band because he was all over Europe including the battle of the bulge. The 38th must have been really split up because William Moore states that he was held in reserve and didn’t have to join the battle. But on other web pages, other soldiers they said they participated in it. Here is the youtube link of him talking about the 38 th.

If you want I will post all the links I have about the 38th. If Marion gives her nod of approval I would like to share all the great photos she has on here posted on here and hope for a larger audience on Pinterest.

In 1958 they were even mentioned in the New York Times about a reunion in Manhattan. The Times can be fairly strict about copyright issues but I guess they won’t bring me up on charges if I leave it up for a few days. I’m talking too much, but here is some Lancaster info that I gathered searching around the web. Please let me know if you want to see the NYT piece if you are trying to look back in time.

Reunion Lancaster.jpg

Attached Files
.jpg   Reunion Lancaster.jpg (Size: 373.17 KB / Downloads: 0)

Ah, go for it. The more people who see these kinds of posts/pics, the better! Exposure is the name of the game.

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  38th Engineer General Service Regiment Jeff B. 13 18,245 04-22-2017, 10:57 AM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter
  36th Engineer helmet found - Cohen Walt's Daughter 7 6,686 02-06-2014, 07:36 AM
  Lester M. Cohen 148th Combat Engineer Walt's Daughter 13 34,696 06-01-2007, 09:53 PM