The Biography of Russ Cloer

Marilyn (Texas38) recently sent me an email stating she had found a great site that featured Russ' (Recon371) Biogrpraphy. So I wrote to Russ and asked him if I could link to that page. He said it was fine with him and that he had placed it there with the help of a friend, four years ago.

So here ya go my friends. Now you have to chance to read even more about Russ and his buddies from the 3rd Infantry Division. I am also going to place that same link on the Stories Page too and am delighted to showcase his memories here.

Oh and Russ, don't stop posting here now that we have found this other little treasure. This should inspire even more dialog between you, Joe and the rest of us. :pdt34:

NOTE: July 5th, 2005 SURPRISE!

Well, Russ, you now have your very own page on our site. Please check it out. I finished it this morning.

Memories of Russ Cloer

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Marion: I knew of Russ's biography for years. I didnt want to bring this up as I figured

I would let him do it if he wished although it is public domain. I did post one of his experiences and a couple of his pics (with his permission) recently here just prior to conning him into posting here. Seems like we both served in many of the same battles

and must admit have the same ideas most of the time. Usually we add to each others

posts if we feel is needed in our reaponses as we have been doing for years, plus E mailing each others on other matters. I think we know each other pretty well including

health and family etc. To me he is one damn good friend.

Thanks Joe,

You are a prince! And a great friend!

I thank you for bringing this site to my attention. When I have pulled my senses together a bit more, I plan to post a few of my WWII pics. You have the list with the URLs. I will continue to try to post a few, but if it proves too difficult, I may ask you to do it. In the meantime, if there are any that you would like to post, please feel free to do so.

Do you remember the 3rd Infantry Division song? We heard it during the few rest periods, when we were off the line. "So pass the ammunition, keep me in the 3rd Division, your dogface soldier boy's ok!" At my age, those memories of our youth are priceless!

I have been trying to post "jeepmine" and "ltanddriver" without success. Others that I have considered are "vagneyfrance", "hitlerplatz" and "hitlerwindo". But I don't want to clutter Marion's site with a lot of kilobytes!

Stay well, old buddy!

Russ

Russ: I kinda figured you would like Marions site. The squabling is kept pretty well out

which is unusual. By the way, your pic you sent me, "landmine" showing the dead jeep,

I posted a while back in one of my posts in "anything WW2 " under "day to day life overseas". I will post your pic of "ltanddriver" tonite under WW2 Vets Stories & News

and you can do the filling in.. Will post it as Recons pic. Will E mail you tonite if possible. And yes, sure do remember our song " Dogface Soldier". I only wish the new P.C people left the line alone : "and I eat a Kraut for breakfast every day". Seems they just had to change it to: "and I eat raw meat for breakfasr every day". However,

I still like the parody of the last line: " So give my ammunition to the 45th division, and

send me to the U.S.A.. Keep well old friend and" keep stretching your glide" . Joe..

VOLENS ET POTENS old Cotton Baler.

At Russ's request I am posting a pic for him. I will leave the details for him to write.

post-5-1120679822_thumb.jpg

Attached Files
.jpg   ltanddriver.jpg (Size: 31.65 KB / Downloads: 0)

Good, can't wait to hear the accompanying story.

BTW, I talked to one of "MY" vets yesterday, and included the words, "stretching the glide." I just love that expression. My buddy loved it too.

:pdt34:

Marion J Chard

Marion: "Stretching your glide" was first used, to my knowledge, by Russ. I cant take credit for the term.

I believe he told me that it came from the aircraft industry. It's just a great term, wouldn't you agree? :D

Marion J Chard

Rus ,

Did you know your JEEP first one made in my little town of Butler, Pa.My senior moment steps in and said " you sure"

American Bantam Car Company, Butler,Pa.

1940 Karl K. Probst.of Detroit was hired by Bantam and they were the only company

who said they could deliver a Prototype in 49 Day’s. Sept. 23,1940 Bantam drove a Prototype to Camp Holibard,Maryland only 30 minuties to spare. The Army tested the prototype and said it exceeded expectations. Then Ford and Willy’s watched, took notes andsubmitted their prototype.. Bantam only had about 1500 employes and could not produce the large number of Jeep’s thr Army wanted. They order was given to Ford and Willy’s. In 1943 Willy’s was charged for false and mis-leading advertising that they created the Jeep.

papa