PATTON MAXIMS

Patton's Maxims

A good solution applied with vigor now is better than a perfect solution applied ten minutes later.

A pint of sweat will save a gallon of blood.

By perseverance, study, and eternal desire, any man can become great.

Do everything you ask of those you command.

Do more than is required of you.

Do not take counsel of your fears.

Give credit where it’s due.

Good tactics can save even the worst strategy. Bad tactics will destroy even the best strategy.

Haste and speed are not synonymous.

You missed a couple. "with your blood and my sweat we will win". Also, his wanting

to continue the war by going right against the russians was just plain stupid as history

shows.. Sure, we had a "cold war" after ww 2. But think of what our losses would have been. After finishing ww 2 did we need this next immediate war???

You can't blame Patton for wanting to kick some "Rooskie" butt, but of course it was an absolutely absurd idea. The losses and the continuation of the war would have devastated us and Lord only knows what the consequences would have been.

I'm still a Patton gal and loved a lot of what he did, but I also know he pulled a few blunders.

I am currently reading Gen Omar Bradley's biography, A Soldier's Story and he covers old George pretty thoroughly. Bradley's book was one of three major sources used for the movie Patton, featuring the superb acting of George C Scott.

If you haven't read Bradley's book, I strongly suggest you pick up a copy. It's a great read and gives you a fantastic behind-the-scenes feel for North Africa, Sicily, Normandy and beyond. :pdt34:

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

I never liked General Patton. nor did most of the men I knew! There is no doubt he was a good general and did a lot for his country. But there were many other generals, some even better, who did not play up to the newspapers and concentrate on being a grandstander as he did. I don't deny his usefulness and accomplishments. But I think we had other generals better than he, who did their job well, but did not focus on personal publicity and notoriety.

OJld "Blood and Guts" he liked to be called. Whenever we heard it, someone would say, "Yeah! Our blood and his guts!"

3_7_I_Recon - Russ Cloer, WWII Inf. Lt. and Cpt, Anzio to Berchtesgaden with the 3rd Infantry Division. Our Division Commander was "Iron Mike" O'Daniel, a resl man with a real record of accomplishment without self gratification.

I guess the court seems split about 50-50. Some of the guys I talk to loved the lambaster; some loathed him.

There is one thing though, through this forum we can expound the glories of some of the other WWII commanders that nobody really hears about or even know about. So why not talk about these men and their deeds during the war. What say you?

From what I have read about the 540th, they had a pretty darn good leader in a man Colonel George W Marvin, who headed the regiment. Of course he too will be included in my book when it is completed.

Thanks for your comments. They are always welcomed my dear.

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Patton and Berlin - 70 years later? Walt's Daughter 3 4,243 07-25-2014, 11:19 AM
Last Post: Jean Jacobson
  Helen Patton and John McAuliffe Walt's Daughter 0 2,193 07-11-2008, 09:11 AM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter
  Patton and His Pistols twobisquit 15 12,480 04-08-2007, 12:02 AM
Last Post: Custermen
  Patton Pissing in Rhine Walt's Daughter 3 16,041 02-09-2006, 01:29 AM
Last Post: texas38
  Logistics and Patton's Third Army Walt's Daughter 0 3,066 09-04-2005, 10:23 PM
  General Patton Cadetat6 1 46,896 06-30-2005, 05:01 PM
  Patton's Prayer - Battle of the Bulge Walt's Daughter 0 1,053,706 02-22-2005, 11:20 PM
  Patton Cadetat6 5 76,519 12-06-2004, 10:24 PM
Last Post: chucktoo1926