309th engineers, 84th Division

I never tried emailing them. Everyone I know who had any luck, either called or wrote to them at the designated address, and included all pertinent info, such as specific name of unit and the dates of service.

• Modern Military Records: Records that originated in military agencies of the Executive branch of government. Most of these records were created after 1900 and include documents created or accumulated by the various components of the Department of Defense and its predecessor, the War Department.
Contact the Textual Records unit at: The National Archives at College Park, 8601 Adelphi Road, College Park, MD 20740-6001

Telephone: 301-837-3510

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

I would also contact Fort Leonard Wood. They were of tremendous help when I first started my journey. Please tell them that I sent you.

Fort Leonard Wood - Office of Engineer History
Historian, U.S. Army Engineer School
320 MANSCEN Loop, Suite 043
Ft. Leonard Wood, MO 65473
573-563-6365

Marion J Chard

Thanks so much Walt’s daughter I shall write to both of them.

I’ll keep everything crossed...it may be a while before I hear anything as I’m in the UK...

Keeping my fingers crossed too. All the best! Can't wait to hear the results. 

Marion J Chard

Hello Brimstone, welcome to the forum, glad to have you aboard! Just wanted to inform you of an observation I have made in regards to your grandfather's 309th ECB. There is a directory (roster) for the 309th ECB from October 1942 to November 1945 listed for sale right now on e-bay. They have photos posted of the first page for each company, and I can clearly see your grandfather's name listed for Company C. Thought I would pass this along in case you might be interested in this item. I tell ya, I wish I could find one of these for my grandfather's 292nd ECB, I would snatch it up in a heartbeat! The link is below, good luck with your research.

Randy

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-309th-Engineer-Combat-Battalion-Book-1942-45-Company-A-B-C-H-S-Med/202083430601?hash=item2f0d1c70c9:g:QT4AAOSwQNRZ2~AF

Thank you Randy so much...I think that I have successfully secured this item.

Much appreciate the heads up.

kindest regards

Brimstone

Great! Glad you could pick up this piece of history before someone else did. I may be wrong but I think this is probably a rare find, don't believe every unit had one of these printed up,  maybe Marion can chime in on this. Not sure what all info you have about your grandfather's unit, but here is a little from Stanton's "World War II Order of Battle"

Activated: 15 OCT 1942 at Camp Howze Texas

Departed New York: 20 SEP 1944

Arrived at ETO: 1 OCT 1944

Campaigns: Ardennes-Alsace, Central Europe, Rhineland

August 1945 Location: Gross Hilligsfeld Germany

Arrived New York: 23 JAN 1946

Deactivated: 24 JAN 1946

Have a good one!

Randy

Thanks for this information Randy, all incredibly interesting for me.

My Grandfather suffered a terrible injury possibly in Germany whilst preparing to leave after the battles, he was run over by a truck and flown back to the US in October 1945 where he went on to spend a year and a half in hospital.

I would really like to find out exactly where he was for the short time that he was in England for.

ETO what is that an abbreviation of do you know? Just wondering, tried googling but still non the wiser...

many thanks for this Randy.

Best wishes

Brimstone

Your most welcome Brimstone. ETO stands for European Theater of Operations. I am including here a couple of links that I think you will find interesting:

The first is a written account of the war time experiences of 309th ECB veteran, Sgt. Alphonse York.

http://www.battleofthebulgememories.be/en/stories/us-army/604-my-experience-in-the-world-war-ii

The second is a video interview of 309th ECB veteran, Corporal John Clarke

http://memory.loc.gov/diglib/vhp/story/loc.natlib.afc2001001.32564/

Both men mention being in England but do not specify exactly where. Even though these links will not answer your question about where he was stationed in England, you might learn some other facts. I know this may not be much help but most all units were embedded in the southern regions of England near ports of embarkation such as South Hampton, Plymouth, Brixham etc. If I ever come across more info about this I will be sure to pass it along.

Have a good one!

Randy

Thanks so much for this Randy, for taking the the time to post this.

I’ve printed the Alphonse interview for my records and have watched the interview with John and have just written and emailed the veterans library, so something may come of this...

It was so frustrating watching the interview as John the clerk kept tapping the huge ledger in front of him suggesting that all the information that I need was held within its bindings...

Many thanks Randy, I’ll let you know if I get anything good back from them, I’ve let the veterans library know what I’m looking for... maybe they even have that ‘big book of everything’...

Best wishes

Brimstone

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Looking for INFO 125th Combat Engineers of the 14th Armored Division mepaw 40 44,565 09-24-2018, 06:33 PM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter
  309th battalion Brimstone 1 2,808 10-17-2017, 07:12 PM
  105th engineers, 30th Infantry Division Frank Gubbels 3 5,708 10-04-2016, 06:32 AM
Last Post: Frank Gubbels
  312th Engineer Combat Battalion, 87th Infantry Division militaria7 8 10,280 02-14-2015, 01:14 PM
Last Post: joedemadio
  20th Armored Division working together with the 157th Engineer Combat Battalion; Then and now brian m 2 5,278 02-08-2014, 02:43 PM
  special service engineers & rail engineers Ron Nash 17 586,962 11-15-2012, 10:43 AM