When you came home......

Laurenbeagregory,

Of the veterans I have talked with, when asked what their favorite memory was when first arriving back in the states, most of them comment on their fist meal state side which, for the those who mentioned it, was always a big steak dinner!

I bet, after all the army food... I still need to finish read Derrick of Dauntless and I am waiting on disc 2 of Band of Brothers..... the first 2 episodes were wonderful, I was glued to my television!

Band of the Brothers is riveting. I believe I have watched it at LEAST a dozen times!

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

I know a lot of 82nd troopers were fed SPAM for sometime. I would hate that, it's gross.

I would imagine that after (up to) several years of C-rats, it was just another meal. One gets sick of MREs, but some are better than others. Hunger always has a way of making things taste better, too!

mre-contents-800.jpg

Maj Todd O. USMC, Retired
Grandson of LTC John O'Brien

How appetizing! We really don't know how lucky we have it until we get a look at this... God Bless the soldiers past, present and future!

"Salute the ones who died, so we don't have to sacrifice all the things we love.... like our chicken, fried. Cold beer on a Friday night, a pair of jeans that fit just right, and the radio on!"

Great movie I recently saw gave a good depiction of returning home... I am probably last person on earth to see it but check out The Greatest Years of Our Lives 1946

I don't know if I have seen that!

http://www.amazon.com/The-Best-Years-Our-Lives/dp/0792846133

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mailing packages home.... laurenbeagregory 0 2,024 01-19-2015, 12:01 AM
Last Post: laurenbeagregory
  90 year-old WWII vet attacked in March home invasion, dies Walt's Daughter 4 5,233 05-07-2012, 06:34 PM
Last Post: Dogdaddy
  Soldiers' and Airmen's home 3_7_I_Recon 1 2,897 03-23-2007, 08:49 PM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter
  Crash of B-24 Liberator near my home in 1945 James Pickering 0 91,218 02-28-2005, 03:27 PM
Last Post: James Pickering