Researching My Daddy's Army Info

I'm glad you took the time to give us a few excerpts. Classic entries. I love how you listed all the slang words and their translations too. :pdt12:

All this gives a real feel for day-to-day life amongst the engineers. Can't wait to see more that for sure.

How I wish my dad had kept a diary. When you get hold of an entire one, it sure is a real present.

Oh I sent a letter to David Wagner. Said he didn't recognize any of the names, probably because they weren't in his unit, but he is passing on the info to a few others.

I should probably start copying in the History of 39th. If I did it little by little it wouldn't seem so cumbersome. I still have to do this for the 36th too. As you can see I have a lot of work ahead of me. I just finished writing a brief history of the 540th and sent it in to WWII Magazine. Hopefully they will print it. Eventually would like to do the same for the 36th and the 39th. Ah, but this all takes time... :wacko:

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

39th on the front lines near Naples.

Florentino Pena Diary Entry

39th Engineers journey from Caivano to Netuna, Italy

Tuesday, January 25, 1944 morning pulled out of

docks (Caivano/Napoli) and to sea all day. Was issued

K rations and cigarettes for a whole day. Three Companies

in the boat. 2nd Bn. had tickets signed before loading boat.

Night slept on deck and didn’t sleep but a little because it was too windy. About 5:30 in the morning

Wednesday 26, a S.S.T. boat was hit and started on fire and it was one of our convoy boats. In the morning, Jerries (Germans) Air Raided and a shell bust on deck of our boat and wounded five of our men. Noon: another air raid, but everyone was put down dock. Stood guard on bottom of deck where equipment was to keep men from smoking. One of the injured men that had been wounded earlier died. Had an air raid about every fifteen minutes dropping bombs to our boats.

Thursday, Jan. 27, 1944 early in the morning had first air raid of the day, second while we were eating chow and one plane was downed during that time. Got off boat in Netuna (Netunno) about 12am and walked about 3 miles and stopped for a rest until trucks came and took us to the company area. While there waiting, had 2 air raids by Jerries and downed about 3 planes in both raids. This town was cleared of people living in it. It was right on the harbor. At night worked in unloading trailers with equipment. Found box of candy and K rations and brought them to the tent. Middle of night had air raid and shells coming from over the nearby hill. It’s really “hot†here because it has been only four days since we invaded and only a few troops have landed here.

Friday, Jan 28, 1944. Morning Air raid again and 5 planes were downed. Next raid while getting the platoon tool for company area, 3 more planes were downed. All day had raids and had to be crawling to fox hole. Noon: was cleaning rifle and ammo and had to get to fox hole every minute because of the raids. Night plane came over for reconnaissance and could see flares drop from up front.

Sat. Jan 29, 1944 morning raid right after chow. The Friday night before the 39th had but put on alert to go to front as infantrymen, but that night the 45th division landed to help third division. Sat. noon Sgt. Chinowith came to tent to tell me I was going to be a bazooka gun assistant. Had an air raid right now while writing letters. 5pm Sat. Afternoon ran to foxhole fast because 2 bombs were dropped close to our area. At dark had another raid that lasted about 15 minutes. At 11pm had another raid after just falling asleep and at 2am a ship was blown up so we went to the foxholes again. At 3am another explosion that woke us up because the ground shook really hard. They (Germans) had been raiding this place because the ships were coming in with supplies and troops to support this front near Netuna.

Sun. Jan 30, 1944, went to shoot bazooka, but there was no ammo. Didn’t have any raids all day, but at 11pm went to work because we are working 24 hour shifts since we are on alert. Worked on road in the dark, we were working right next to the front lines. We could hear enemy guns and our guns kept firing back all night.

Mon Jan. 31, 1944 was off from 7am to noon. Noon: shells were coming above our area and busting on our shore, which was just a few yards away. The Sunday night before, started pulling double guard because we were expecting paratroopers from Rome which had their officers captured in a fight with Rangers. B. Commandos Challenge by pass word. Words for cover of Regt. Rats – Bn. 1st, 2nd Bn. White. Co. D dog, East Co. easy, F Co. fox, weapon platoon green. Shells coming over were German 88s and on raids planes dropped rocket bombs, which were claimed to be radio bombs, which go straight to iron targets. Monday night moved up to front lines as infantry to make a defensive line so 179th division could make a push. We relieved them on the right flank by a canal.

Tuesday, Feb. 1, 1944 relieved the flank at 2am. And was put on O.P. to observe the enemy which was about 500 yards ahead. Had to crawl up the bank by a trench. Third Platoon had an attack at 5am. We didn’t have a second of sleep that night because we had to observe. While crawling to the trenches, we had a hard time because we were carrying a rifle, bazooka and ammo. Noon: while I was taking a little rest, they started shelling us. 2 Jerries were captured because they gave themselves up. We could see the enemy from here since it was level ground. Night: had bullets and shells buzzing about our heads on the post guard.

Wed, Feb. 2, 1944 In observe hole. Didn’t get any sleep or rest. One Lt. got hurt in first attack. Lt. Col Hanssan was said to be the one that go us on this job. Shells were landing right in front of our hole. Night was relieved by 1st Armored force of half Canadian and half American troops.

This is the Anzio Invasion and Campaign. January through the end of May 25, 1944, until the southern forces met up with the men from the beachhead at Borgo Grappa! A long horrendous fight.

For those of our readers who are just becoming familiar with Anzio, you can see why I keep repeating what a hell hole it was. This diary puts it right up front. Shelling, shelling, shelling. It was incessant. :pdt33:

Every time I read these diary entries, I can't help to think what great material this will be for the book. I hope you will allow me to use a lot of entries. These are like manna from heaven to a writer! -o- Brings the people to life. :pdt34:

I have to make sure that the guys from the 39th see these. I think they will be knocked off their feet. This will definitely bring back some memories. Many of them NOT good ones I fear.

Marion J Chard

Great diary of the events. I reads very similiar to the diary of Pvt Brown that I have on my website. Here are some comments. I thought maybe this will help your decypher the hand-writing if it is unclear.

Wednesday 26, a S.S.T. boat was hit

Probably a reference to an L.S.T. ship or Landing Ship Troops.

Got off boat in Netuna (Netunno)

Nettuno is near town of Anzio and site of the Sicily-Rome American Cemetery, where 7,862 Americans are buried and a memorial commemorates the 3,094 Americans missing in action who were never found.

http://www.abmc.gov/cemeteries/cemeteries/sr.php

Mon Jan. 31, 1944 . . . . .  Shells coming over were German 88s and on raids planes dropped rocket bombs, which were claimed to be radio bombs, which go straight to iron targets. Monday night moved up to front lines as infantry to make a defensive line so 179th division could make a push.

Correct on the radio guided bombs. They were known as the Fritz Bombs and were the first true "smart bombs". They were first used by the Germans against the Italian navy when they surrendered. Then used again at Anzio harbor.

179th Division should be 179th Infantry Regiment of the 45th Division. Pvt Paul Brown was a member of this. See his diary at Pvt Paul Brown's Diary.

Wed, Feb. 2, 1944 In observe hole. Didn’t get any sleep or rest. One Lt. got hurt in first attack. Lt. Col Hanssan was said to be the one that go us on this job. Shells were landing right in front of our hole. Night was relieved by 1st Armored force of half Canadian and half American troops.

The description matches the unit known as the 1st Special Services Forces, which was a battalion-size ranger unit that was known as the "Devil's Brigade".

BTW, it was at Anzio, where Ernie Pyle came close to getting killed when an artillery shell hit on the other side of a wall of the building he was in. It shook him up for several days but he found the courage to go back out into the field.

Hope this helps.

Steve

Steve you are a peach and as usual your comments are rich with info. Thank you for all your help on our forum! :pdt34:

Marion J Chard

I got a great letter from my friend David Wagner who's story is on our site. http://www.6thcorpscombatengineers.com/DavidWagner.htm

He has been in contact with Luis and is thrilled about the diary too, however he nicely pointed out a few things that stand to be corrected and rightfully so. Thank you David for you clever and watchful eye. All of us pride ourselves on knowing our history, but when we make mistakes, we also appreciate corrections, for we all learn from each other. :pdt34: The excerpt below is from his letter.

-----------

...I wrote a note to Luis Berrea, Jr. explaining what his

grandfather meant when he referred to crackers. He was

actually referring to craters in the road which were caused

either by bombs, shelling, very heavy traffic or incessant rains

or a combination of any or all of them. I read the stuff you have

on the site and it is really fantastic but I have to make two

comments. Where the grandfather refers to SST boat you

have a comment which corrected it to LST Landing Ship

Troops. In actuality it was known as Landing Ship Tanks. I

know because I helped build them when I worked for the U.S.

Navy before I was inducted.

Also, the Armored Force reference was corrected to read

Devil's Brigade. In actuality this was the first Special Service

Force and was only referred to by us as the SSF. The

Germans referred to them as the Black Devils. This was

because when they went out on patrol at night they smeared

black shoe polish on their faces. The Devil's Brigade came

about in 1968 when a movie was made from a novel which was

written about the SSF and entitled "Devil's Brigade." This was

really one great outfit. The 39th was attached to the SSF as

their nighttime reserve and we went on patrol with them...

Marion J Chard

Is there any possibility I could be put in touch with David Wagner, Marion. He landed at Gela and I would be interested in knowing where he went in Sicily next?

Colin.

:tank:

Where the grandfather refers to SST boat you have a comment which corrected it to LST Landing Ship Troops.  In actuality it was known as Landing Ship Tanks.

I caught that mistake. But I didn't want to offend Steve by correcting his mistake and making him mad at me.

The troop carrier was called LSI.

Steve

Is there any possibility I could be put in touch with  David Wagner, Marion. He landed at Gela and I would be interested in knowing where he went in Sicily next?

Colin.

:tank:

Yes, I will put you in touch with David. He is a very knowledgable and affable man. You will enjoy his letters. I will PM it to you later this evening.

Marion J Chard

Here is a Photo of my grandfather in his WWII uniform.

Florentino B. Pena

March 25, 1923-

Oct. 18, 1998

post-13-1133131896_thumb.jpg

Attached Files
.jpg   ArmyPhoto.jpg (Size: 774.79 KB / Downloads: 0)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  info on 363rd and 369th Engineers Sgtleo 30 32,001 09-08-2014, 06:38 AM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter
  Researching my grandpa Lainee 4 5,783 12-03-2009, 09:25 PM
Last Post: SonofaMP
  36th Combat Engineer info EvanLonergan 5 6,425 07-22-2008, 01:43 PM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter
  Hello Everyone - Info on grandfather Brenda 3 5,374 06-30-2008, 08:23 PM
Last Post: Jim Davis
  accurate info needed 1944-45, `50-53 minkoff 0 2,200 05-20-2006, 04:37 PM
Last Post: minkoff
  Looking for Info.!!!!!!!!!!! LOOKING FOR GI W,SCHRUM 3 7,041 08-19-2005, 12:55 AM
Last Post: jec4918