VI Corps Combat Engineers 2013 Reunion

Oh me too. I am absolutely thrilled and am thinking how exciting it will be. Can't wait to see you once again. You are one of my very dearest friends and of course now, my worldly dad! Love you!

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Letter Carl is sending out to the group, trying to rectify the ongoing situation. Many thanks to Carl and Ted!

Hello 36th Engineers and family,

I’m sorry that numerous emails from multiple people about the plans under discussion for our next reunion have been a so confusing.

Even more importantly, I’m sorry that some feelings of people very dear to me have been hurt in this process.

Here is my summary of how this story has evolved and what is going on:

From discussions last September and since, it appeared that the majority of participants at last year’s reunion in Lebanon felt that the quality of the hotel that had served us so well and for so many years had declined (rooms, service and food) so terribly much (you do know that most of the rooms in the main building were occupied by public assistance families last year?) that it was no longer a clean and comfortable place to get together.

As such, a number of us felt it was time to find an alternative site and several of us volunteered to investigate for an alternative site for 2013.

We strongly felt that an alternative site that might be easier to travel to for many us (those family members flying in from across the country particularly) than Lebanon is currently, would also be a big plus for most of us as well.

When John Fallon sent us all the information about the "Operation Dragoon - The "Forgotten D-Day" event in Washington D.C. in August, it immediately appeared to be a good alternative date & time for the 36th meeting for 2013.

The meeting location afforded us a better (and still affordable) hotel, an easier to get to location (with hotel shuttle from the airport), the opportunity to be part of a bigger WWII event with more people, the ability to have our own hospitality suite and finally, having nearby national memorials (the WWII Memorial is a must!) and museums that will be easy to get to and visit.

A very nice added bonus to this event is that all the heavy lifting/planning of our reunion is done and as a result, our members just get to go and enjoy each other’s company.

As a result, Marion and several others, as well as I got very excited that this was the type of alternative site that would be perfect.

We then initiated a survey (emails to those of us who use them and mailed letters to the rest) of our group to inquire what everyone would prefer.

The goals of the survey were to ask if the majority of our group thought this might be a good idea or not and MOST IMPORTANTLY make sure that no one thought they didn’t have a say!

As of today’s mailing, our survey has resulted in 17 YES, 10 MAYBE and 1 NO for D.C. in August.

Again, this would be a vote on our only reunion event for 2013 as the great majority of us cannot possibly attend two events, D.C. & Lebanon.

Unfortunately, a very small minority within our group is adamant that Lebanon is the ONLY place the 36th should go, want nothing to do with D.C. and appear very hurt that such a thing would be proposed and considered.

Even more unfortunately that small minority sent a very hurtful, accusatory email/letter to me that Marion was trying to take over the reunion and that it wasn’t her place to do so.

I was shocked and disturbed by this email/letter as I know that ever since Marion has been involved with our group, she has only ever had the best interests of the 36th in mind, wanting us to have the best reunion possible, attended by as many people as possible.

I strongly believe that combining our 2013 36th Combat Engineer’s Reunion with that of the Dragoon event in D.C. in August is the best choice for us.

I know as members of the US Army during WWII, we didn’t operate as a democracy, but I am hoping that we decide together on this one!

I hope that even those few of us who may shudder at the thought of breaking tradition by leaving Lebanon, come to realize that we will not have that many more opportunities to come together as the special group we are and that we should all be united on this.

Finally and most importantly, I hope that we all fully understand that it is the collective spirit of the WWII 36th Combat Engineers (comprised of those of us who are still fortunate to be here, along with those who no longer are), is what is so very important to us at our reunions, not the location.

Carl Furtado

36th Combat Engineer

Marion J Chard

Nice letter, Carl. I hope everyone comes together for this. I recall that the rooms in Lebanon in 2011 were not that nice, and I can only assume they haven't gotten a lot better since that time. I think it would be great to not only see your old mates with whom you have met with for so long, but also people that shared your experiences but you might not have known before. (It might be a time to hear some new stories, to boot!) I understand the difficulty of change - I don't care for it much myself. And as I am only 40 I can't imagine having to change something one has done for 65+ years. I think sometimes, however, things change because they must. The car ride to Lebanon from the nearest airport might just not be doable for some now, and I think that to be one of the most important points. I hope emotions soften and all who can make do, because as Carl mentioned, there may not be many opportunities for travel left.

I truly wish I could be there. The opportunity to make it in 2011 is a treasured memory. It was akin to being able to have that WWII discussion with my grandfather that I never really had. Like most vets, he never really brought it up and we were told not to ask. I did finally ask in 1999. It was after I had gotten married and had flown to see my grandparents (they had not been able to make the wedding). Unfortunately, I didn't get to talk near as much as I would have liked. Being with John, Carl, and crew really gave me a sense of what that longer conversation would have been like, so it was truly special. As of right now, I cruise off the coast of Thailand in the USS Bohnhomme Richard and will be doing something similar in August. Duty calls and I know they understand that better than anyone. I just wish I didn't have to miss it.

Dad%2520CO%25202832.jpg

J.%2520O%2527Brien%2520Sr.jpg

Maj Todd O. USMC, Retired
Grandson of LTC John O'Brien

I'm so glad that it was a wonderful experience for you. You and I are blessed to have done so.

Just wish I could have met your grandfather.

Marion J Chard

Latest poll:

23 YES

6 MAYBE

Marion J Chard

23 YES

6 MAYBE

Great results!!!!

Marion J Chard

Thought I would check in and look at the letters posted here and so far they are good. Marion and I are keeping in touch with people and hope to increase the number of people going down to the dragoon affair. It should be fun. See you there.

Carl Furtado 36th Combat Engineers.

Okay, working out final details for the reunion in DC. They are getting us a hospitality suite. I should know more within the next day or so. We will see how much it would cost and divvy out the cost among our attendees.

Right now we are shooting for Friday, Sat and Sunday, August 9, 10 and 11th. We may also throw Thursday in too. I have to talk to Carl Furtado later today.

So stop by again very soon and get all latest, then you can call the hotel and book your rooms, very shortly,.

:pdt12: :pdt12: :pdt12:

Marion J Chard

Okay, everything is finalized for the reunion. Please download the PDF file for all the information.

If you are going to attend, please make sure you call, email or write to me to let me know how many people will attend in your party.

See you there 6th Corps Combat Engineers!!!!!

VI Corps Combat Engineers 2013 Reunion.pdf

Attached Files
.pdf   VI Corps Combat Engineers 2013 Reunion.pdf (Size: 90.65 KB / Downloads: 0)
Marion J Chard

Just sent in our reservations for the banquet and event. Booking our room today too! Yeah, all set to go.

Marion J Chard

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  291st Engineer Reunion - 2014 Walt's Daughter 1 5,914 11-23-2017, 01:59 PM
Last Post: juskitty
  2017 Seahorse Reunion - 36th and 540th Walt's Daughter 13 15,319 10-17-2017, 06:51 PM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter
  Future Engineer's Reunion - Please voice your opinions! Walt's Daughter 13 728,083 11-03-2016, 10:01 AM
  36th/540th Engineer Reunion 2015 Walt's Daughter 8 10,868 11-19-2015, 05:34 AM
Last Post: colinhotham
  Info for 39th Engineer Reunion 2015 Walt's Daughter 0 3,798 03-31-2015, 03:56 PM
  Anzio Beachhead Reunion 2015 Walt's Daughter 0 3,477 03-26-2015, 04:19 PM
  284th Engineer Combat Battalion Annual Reunion cincinnatikid 7 10,890 11-11-2014, 05:26 PM
  36th/540th Reunion - September 11-14, 2014 Walt's Daughter 23 25,332 10-30-2014, 06:38 PM
  Operation Dragoon - The "Forgotten D-Day" - Aug 2013 Walt's Daughter 8 11,312 10-18-2014, 09:24 AM
  36th/540th Combat Engineer - 2012 Reunion Walt's Daughter 40 45,968 11-07-2012, 07:45 AM