My Dad's Anzio Memento: What is it?

Got an answer everyone!!!! YEAH! This was emailed to me by Bob and Kathy Miller:

Marion-Got this response from my brother, hope it helps.

Bob,

The leather thing next to the 36th patch is from the 1040th Causeway Detachment (Seabees) that were at Salerno and Anzio with the 36th. It might be a pouch for a "challenge coin" type item. Try Googling it.

Paul

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Interesting. I don't know if challenge coins were around back then, but seems like it could be for something like it.

Maj Todd O. USMC, Retired
Grandson of LTC John O'Brien

Well, I had to do some googling. According to one story, challenge coins originated during World War I; another story says during the Vietnam War. My thanks to the Millers for their reply. I wonder if Paul was actually in the 1040 Causeway Detachment. Building the Navy's Bases in World War II mentions other Seabee units at Anzio but not the 1040th. So the memento remains a mystery.

At the Seabee museum, http://www.history.n...UnitHistory.pdf, I found this:

CBD 1040

"Formed at Camp Endicott in Jan. 1944, CBD 1040 sailed from Newport News, Va., on Jan. 29, 1944 and arrived at Bizerte in Feb. On March 8 one platoon began operations at Salerno. In May. six platoons were moved to the Naples-Salerno area. On July 31 two officers and 34 men were assigned to LST 525. On Aug. 1 two officers and 34 men wereassigned to LST 997. On Aug. 2 two of-ficers and 34 men were assigned to LST 32. Four platoons were ordered to Mar-seille. Aug. 28 and five more were sent to Toulon, Aug. 31. The personnel re-turned to headquarters at Bizerte in October 1944. On Nov. 9. another group of six officers and 97 men were assigned to duty aboard several LSTs. On Nov. 17, 1944, seven officers and 250 men were Nov. 23. The follnwing Aug. 8, the unit was inactivated."

So far I'm finding the same thing. The 1040th were at Naples/Salerno, and then were part of the Southern France Invasion.

Marion J Chard

Further thoughts by Bob Miller:

Marion,

Just some further thoughts regarding the Sea Bee patch inquiry. I know when I was in (1968 to 1971), it was quite common for the guys to collect and trade all sorts of gear. Many collected military patches or insignia much like police and firefighters do today. When my platoon was stationed with a platoon from 2nd Company, 7th ROK Marines about 12 miles south of Danang, we traded our USMC brass belt buckles for their aluminum with were stamped with the ROK insignia and small enameled pins with their logo on it (I still have mine). These items could be traded to Air Force guys for gear that we couldn't readily get through our regular supply chain. On numerous occasions, we worked with the Sea Bees and they were very well supplied and very gracious in helping us out. We were always scrounging for parts for our equipment or getting them to machine, forge or fabricate stuff we needed to keep our equipment running. One thing about engineers, regardless of the branch of service, is the sense of camaraderie which is why March 17th is celebrated as the Engineer birthday. While our Battalion was headquartered in Chu Lai, we shared the compound with the headquarters of the 26th Army Engineers (Way of the Victors). In later years, Cathy and I attended Engineer Birthday Balls at the O Club at Ft. Belvoir which at the time was where Marine Corps Engineer Officers attended the Senior Engineer School. It was always a great time.

Marion J Chard

Here's what my sister said about the Anzio piece: It's an impression stamped into ceramic material that has been glazed. Another sister has the original stamp, which is about 3 or 4 inches long—a metal stamp with a wooden handle.

My hunch is that my father made the metal stamp and ceramic piece. Making a stamp for just one ceramic piece is unlikely, so there must have been more produced. Dad was an experienced machinist and jig maker before the war, and he had access to tools during the war as well. After the war, he worked in a factory that was equipped with machinist tools and kilns to fire ceramic insulators. Unfortunately, anyone in the family that could shed some light on this is long gone.

Sandy (a.k.a. Peanuts)

Interesting tidbits! Thanks for the input.

Marion J Chard

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Letter sent home from Anzio - Sgt Joe Miller - 36th Eng Walt's Daughter 4 4,683 01-27-2012, 12:17 PM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter
  This I Saw at Anzio Walt's Daughter 4 5,235 04-02-2008, 06:46 PM
  Engineers at Anzio? Walt's Daughter 0 2,812 09-01-2007, 08:04 AM
  Anzio Annie? Walt's Daughter 3 4,640 05-06-2006, 04:24 PM
Last Post: pdhinkle