LEONARD R JOHNSON

Received this letter - I haven't had much time to do a full search yet, but told him to contact the Veteran's admin to obtain records, as I did for my dad. Sounds like he could have been with the 291st, since they were the first across the Rhine. I am going to see if I can find his name within the two books which Col Pergrin sent me.

================

Dear Marion,

I drop you this line after stumbling across your wonderful web site.

My grandfather Leonard Robert Johnson (photo attached) died tragically young and was never able to pass on the story of his World War II service. I am attempting to trace his service in the European Theater, but sadly his record was among those consumed in the large blaze at the Archives in St. Louis. My main goal is to discern what unit he served in, so that I may trace his movements by that route.

Here’s what I know:

He was born Oct. 28, 1922 in Chicago and died Nov. 3, 1971 in Chicago.

I have a couple of photos of Lenny in his army uniform. He clearly has an Army Corps of Engineers lapel pin in one of the photos. In another one, he may a have a Signal Corps lapel pin.

A great uncle told me he was one of the first to cross the Remagan Bridge and the Rhine.

I have his Dog Tag, which reads:

LEONARD R JOHNSON

36659504 T43 44 A P

The Certification of Military Service sent to me in lieu of his destroyed service record states his years of service were between April 24, 1943 and February 19, 1946. His last grad/rank/rating was Technician Fourth Grade.

That’s about the extent of what I know. My family and I would be endlessly grateful for any avenues you might suggest to learning more about this member of "The Greatest Generation" and the Corps and his time in Germany.

If I may be of further assistance, don't hesitate to contact me at this email or on my cell phone.

Sincerely,

William Hatfield

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

post-2-0-66018900-1353944174_thumb.jpg

Attached Files
.jpg   LEONARD-JOHNSON-WWII-portrait2.jpg (Size: 196.32 KB / Downloads: 0)
Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Leonard Drucker - Honor Flight attendee Walt's Daughter 1 3,689 05-16-2017, 02:17 AM
Last Post: Cynthia Sandor