D Day Landings

Hi All,

My Grandfather, Alex Stewart, was in the merchant navy during WWII. He was involved with the Mulberry Harbours that were used during the allied invasion of Normandy, D Day Landings.

At that time he lost his compass and was given a compass by an American serviceman. The compass has USCE on the front (US Corps of Engineers).

I'm the grandson of Alex and now have the compass. I'd love to find information about the US servicemean who kindly gave his compass to Alex. I'd like to know the story from the other side if anyone is out there that knows anything please contact me. Many thanks to all that keep the story alive and give the chance of sharing information.

I live in Northampton, England, but my grandfather came from Belfast, Northern Ireland.

All the best,

Mark

Northampton

Attached pictures of the compass

post-1515-0-36851600-1351501121_thumb.jpg

Attached Files
.jpg   Compass - D Day Landings.jpg (Size: 43.33 KB / Downloads: 0)

Hi Mark:

Happy to see your post on the forum. A warm welcome to you.

The compass looks like it's still in great shape. It's wonderful you still have it.

The request is a really tall order, for there were dozens upon dozens of engineer units involved in the D-Day landings, so narrowing it down will be quite a feat, but you never know...

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"