Brave Men.

Almost ten years ago I started researching Operation Husky, the capture of the island of Sicily by the Allies from the Axis powers. Since then I have read numerous books about it and the Italian campaign.

Many times have I seen references to Ernie Pyle, the US war correspondent and his book Brave Men.

At last I have a copy, in fact a fairly new paperback print - Bison Books, 2001. Not only did my local library get me a copy but in order to do so it bought one to add to the Wiltshire catalogue.

I am now in the process of reading it, as it was awaiting my return from the 2012 36th Combat Engineers reunion in the USA (a nice coincidence). I am about to start on chapter three titled -The Engineers War - relating to Sicily. I will come back here when I finish my read and give my thoughts.

Coilin.

Congrats on your acquisition. They say good things come to those who wait!

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

I have just finished Brave Men and found it an exceedingly good read. It is full of information From North Africa to Normandy. His way of telling the story is unique in that he lists the full details of all the officers and enlisted men he spoke to, interviewed and was alongside as they fought. Even down to their home addresses, including streets and house numbers!

The library book has now been returned to the library, but a copy Brave Men is now on my list to Santa!

As a description of WW2 in its own right it is worth reading.

Colin.

Ah, sounds like I have to add that to my list too. Shall put it on my Wish List. Thanks for adding your comments about "Brave Men". :pdt12:

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"