V-J Day

Or as it is know commonly in Japan (according to Wikipedia) "memorial day for the end of the war" (終戦記念日, Shūsen-kinenbi); the official name for the day, however, is "the day for mourning of war dead and praying for peace" (戦歿者を追悼し平和を祈念する日, Senbotsusha wo tsuitōshi heiwa wo kinensuru hi). This is observed on the 15th in Japan and 14th in the US due to the time difference.

Shigemitsu-signs-surrender.jpg

At 0904 on the 15th (just over 67 years and 2 hours ago for me as I write this) the first signature was affixed to the surrender document by Japanese foreign minister Mamoru Shigemitsu the others followed shortly thereafter.

Surrender_of_Japan_-_USS_Missouri.jpgThe surrender delegation742px-Missouri-flyover.jpgThe famous picture of the victory flyover676px-USS_Missouri_Tokyo_Bay.jpg

This is an interesting shot I had never seen before yesterday. From Wikipedia:Taken during the Japanese Surrender Ceremony by Ted H. Lambert, from his B-29.

Ah, very interesting. Now you have an Eastern perspective on this day.

For those readers who aren't aware, Todd is stationed in Okinawa, and just moved there several weeks ago. I now call him our foreign correspondent! :ladynews: Hmmm, gotta get a MALE one of these!

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"