Dedicated to Truman Kimbro - 2nd Eng Bn

My friend Ralph Peeters sent this to me:

Dedicated to Truman Kimbro - 2nd Eng Bn

post-2-0-67725500-1342179848_thumb.jpg

Attached Files
.jpg   Truman Kimbro.JPG (Size: 501.91 KB / Downloads: 0)
Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Truman Carol Kimbro (May 27, 1919-December 19, 1944)

kimbro.jpg

Kimbro was drafted into the Army from Houston, Texas in December 1941, just a few days before the attack on Pearl Harbor. By December 19, 1944 he was serving as a technician fourth grade in Company C, 2nd Engineer Combat Battalion, 2nd Infantry Division. On that day, he was assigned to lead a squad in the mining of a crossroads near Rocherath, Belgium. Finding that the area was covered by enemy forces, he left his men in a protected position and went forward alone. Although wounded on his approach, he continued on his mission and successfully laid mines across the road before being killed by enemy fire. For these actions, he was posthumously awarded the Medal of Honor five months later, on May 24, 1945. Kimbro was buried at the Henri-Chapelle American Cemetery in Henri-Chapelle, Belgium. His grave can be located in Plot F Row 6 Grave 28.

kimbrograve.jpg

Honored in ship naming

The U.S. Army ship USAT Sgt. Truman Kimbro which served in the Pacific Ocean at the end of World War II was named in his honor.

0913025402.jpg

Truman Kimbro isn't forgotten back home. To honor him, the people of his hometown named a convention center after their hero. The Kimbro Truman Convention Center is situated on Trinity Street behind the Madison County courthouse in downtown Madisonville

trumankimbro2.jpg

Such a sad story, but oh how nice to be remembered. Such an honor. I'm so glad you posted the details of this service during WWII. Thank you Ralph!

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"