The venerable jeep

The Venerable Jeep,

If the 2 1/2 ton truck was the workhorse of WWII (and it was), then the jeep was the cavalry horse of the same era.

I was platoon leader of the 7th Infantry I & R platoon in Italy, France and Germany. I had 4 jeeps which were essential to our reconnaissance missions. The jeep's real name was truck, 1/4 ton, 4x4, G.P. (General Purpose). it's classic lines, it's capabilities, reliability and versatility will live forever in the minds of we who knew it.

Hey Russ my dear. I see you made your first post. Excellent and welcome aboard. I just introduced you by sharing your first letter to me. I placed it in the INTRODUCE YOURSELF section for all to read.

I am very excited about having your here and I know that everyone else will share my enthusiasm.

Speaking of the jeep, have you ever watched R. Lee Ermey (Gunney) on the History Channel? Now that man loves his jeep! :pdt34::pdt12:

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Hey Russ: You forgot all your jeeps had .50 cal M.achine guns on them. Making them a walking (or riding) nice bit of firepowder. Know from experience you all used them to their best ability. Dont keep this back. Know damn well what this could do in combat.

Come forth with your experiences or will be FORCED to put some of them on for you.

Open up and tell ,all old friend. You had more combat experience than I did. So open up Russ. Hope your wife is better. Keep me informed.. And keep "stretching your glide" as I am doing.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  1942 photo Dad & jeep arve 2 5,078 10-04-2007, 01:09 PM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter
  The venerable jeep curtdol 0 99,524 07-07-2005, 09:09 PM
Last Post: curtdol