Marion & National Archive Records

Oh WOW! Many of these men are buried at Margraten. Can't believe I missed this post and your site! I will definately in contact with you.

STevin

The 327th site is a great one and they have spent numerous hours collecting and collating the data and the photos. I hope more people will stop by and give it a look. I'm proud to have the link on my site. Laurie is a super lady too. :D

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Well I finally got off my rear-end and sent several emails to personal researchers in the DC area. I sent them a copy of the list of archived documents that Mr. Nenninger sent to me and asked for a quote to copy said docs and to mail them to me.

So, things are finally getting off the ground. If the price seems to high, then I will take the second step and try and hire a student from one of the nearby universities. I also have a list for that too.

Wish me luck. :pdt34:

Was contacted right away by one of the researchers that I wrote to last week. She is going to come up with a price for me after ascertaining just how many documents there are. Can't wait. :D

Marion J Chard

Well I've been corresponding with a researcher over the last several weeks and it doesn't look like I'll be able to afford doing this right now.

She was kind enough to go down to NARA and see how much was actually there, so she could give me an estimate. Well it's going to be around $1000.00. Just found out this morning. There's no way I can come up with the money, so...

I told her to hold off until later and I would keep in touch with her. Explained that while it's bad news, there's a bright side to look on! That just means that there's tons of info for me to acquire. Ya, I'm disappointed, but what the heck are ya going to do?

Ah, maybe next year I can hire her. Either that, or I will have to try and plan a trip to DC and Maryland. Well, time will tell. At least I know where I stand right now. -_-

Marion J Chard

Well it's going to be around $1000.00.

Wowzer!! Was that for everything? Or just After Action Reports?

Steve

That was for everything at College Park. I haven't gotten a price from St Louis yet, but that will be a lot cheaper.

Marion J Chard

Got a nice email from Carolyn the researcher again this afternoon. She said she would be willing to the work in segments and copy only the amount that I could cover right now, which would be around $350.00. She told me she didn't know what was compelling her to work on this project, but she felt driven to do so. Wow, was I surprised.

Well I am going to take her up on her offer. This way at least I can get started. I'll worry about the rest later. Hopefully I'll be able to afford to get more of the documents maybe late winter, or early spring.

Thanks divining spirit! Once again you have assisted me. -o-

Marion J Chard

Last night we acquired our first corporate sponsor. Talk about divine intervention. We reached a deal and I agreed to place their link on our Home Page and Links Page for one year. :pdt34:

So I contacted Carolyn this morning and gave her the order to get the first third of the docs from NARA. I am so excited. :bluejumper: I can't believe that I am going to finally get my hands on SOME of the docs.

It's a great start and I am so grateful for anything! The rest will fall into place. I know that now, so I will not worry about it anymore. One day at a time.

So thanks to Carolyn, thanks to our new sponsor, Veteran Loan Center and thanks to God and my cheering section in heaven. I can picture a whole section of combat engineers cheering and saying, "You go girl!" Thanks dad! I love you! :heartpump:

Marion J Chard

Great news!!

Wowzer!! Was that for everything? Or just After Action Reports?

Could you limit it to Operational Reports and AARs and see how that goes? I hear some of the other stuff is almost useless without maps to go with it.

I sure hope you find a whole store house of photos & sketches of bridges and stuff that the engineers worked on. Wouldn't that be great!

Steve

Oh you know me. I want all of the docs! ;) It may take longer this way, but it will be worth it in the long run.

I was talking to George Koskimaki last night and telling him all about my busy month and about the NARA docs. He said he wished he could have had a private reseacher while writing his books. Said that would have been a Godsend to him.

He was thrilled about my the article I submitted to WWII Magazine. His last words last night were, "You're on your way Marion." He had lots of joy and pride in his words and I can't tell you how much it meant to me coming from an esteemed author. -_-:)

Marion J Chard

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Find My Past Announces WWII POW Records Published Walt's Daughter 0 3,733 09-05-2015, 08:51 AM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter
  So...records search Caryl-280ECB 15 18,155 04-11-2013, 05:51 PM
  FREE access to military records until Dec 7th, 2012 Walt's Daughter 0 3,192 12-04-2011, 02:16 PM
  NARA IS NOT destroying records Walt's Daughter 2 4,451 04-19-2011, 03:21 PM