Private - by Lester Atwell

This review is by our friend and WWII veteran, John McAuliffe, 87th Inf Div. John posted this on FB and I am sharing with you.

Lester Atwell was born in 19o8 in Brooklyn, NY.where he made hi home.Educated in Brooklyn Prep and Fordham and the Arts Student league he gegan writing in 1937 and his articles short Stories appeared in all the major magazines He entered the Army in MayJune 1943 and sewrve until November 1945. His original intention of taking notes was simply to keep some record for himself so that he could remember where he had been in WW-2 campaigns and what had happened there. Only much later did he realize he was writing a book.....this book.

Lester Atwell was a 35 year old reifleman with the 87th INF DIV. Because of his age of 35 years. he was transferred to the Combat Medics. This book recounts the stories of the 87th division wounded soldiers as Lester met them in the Aid Station. I met him after the war in his home..and listend to the remarkable stories told by yhis gentleman -soldier....He died at age 91...He wrote stories which were made into Movies....awith the actress Liza Minnelli. "Life with its sorrows. Life with its tears...Here was a remarkable soldier-writer...I knew him well at his home in Virginia...He was going blind at the end of his remarkable life...of Soldier and writer.

THE BATTLE OF THE BULGE, THE ARDENNES, THE FINAL PUSH INTO THE HEARTOF THE THIRD REICH, "THIS IS THE REAL THING, THIS IS WHAT IT;S LIKE TO FIGHT AN INFANTRY WAR"..The Army times.

Lester Arwell records the hideous scream of the .88,the moment of courage, the cold the sight and smell of a friend ripped by shrapnell, the suden shock of seeing a German soldier rise like a phantom from the snow, his burp gun spewing death.....meant for you........"AMONG THE GREAT BOOKS OF WW--2 ....Miami News.....

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  “Private” by Lester Atwell Walt's Daughter 0 4,372 09-09-2009, 06:59 AM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter