Shellback Certificate

I would like to get my great uncles shellback certificate reissued for my fmaily binder but all I have is the date and ship he was on when he qualified. What are the chances someone here would know what longitude the ship crossed at when he did? I know it's a longshot to ask this info but it's worth a shot right?

thanks.

Hi Dan, What was the ship name & date?

The info you need on Longitude would be recorded in the ship`s deck logs. A deck log identifies a ship's location and movements daily. If the ship is underway, its latitude and longitude are to be entered three times each day in blocks provided for the purpose. Deck logs are not narratives, and do not describe or explain a ship's operations.

If he was on a commisioned US Navy ship during WWII, the deck logs are at the Modern Military Branch, National Archives, 8601 Adelphi Road, College Park MD.

"Logs from 1941 through those that are 30 years old or older are in the Modern Military Branch, National Archives, 8601 Adelphi Road, College Park MD 20740-6001 [Telephone (301) 837-3510]. These logs are open for research. Requests for research appointments, and inquiries concerning log information, should go to the National Archives office holding logs from the time period of interest."

http://www.history.navy.mil/faqs/faq73-1.htm

He served on the USS John D Henley (DD553). He qualified on August 24, 1944. Thanks for the info.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  VBOB Certificate Walt's Daughter 0 8,807 01-16-2006, 03:26 PM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter
  BOB Certificate Walt's Daughter 1 159,451 11-10-2004, 03:35 PM
Last Post: Sergei Molotov