The M1's Tactical Advantage?

Interesting article I picked up at the 101st Airborne Luncheon this week. I scanned it and am happy to share with you.

The M1's Tactical Advantage?

The M1's Tactical Advantage.pdf

Attached Files
.pdf   The M1's Tactical Advantage.pdf (Size: 262.73 KB / Downloads: 0)
Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Ping or not, it's probably the greatest battle rifle used in major conflict when compared to the contemporary competition's rifles. The K-98 is a great rifle and in WWI it was one of the best. When your opponents have a platoon full of semi-auto rifles and your platoon is still cranking away bolt actions, however, I bet you would rather have a pinging semi-auto! So I'll keep my .270 Remington 700 for deer and keep my M-16A4 handy for a firefight. [Note - I would like to have a beefier cartridge in the M-16 but it's what we have.]

How about our WWII vets, what did you think of the M-1? Ever wish you had something with less "ping"?

m1talking.jpg

Maj Todd O. USMC, Retired
Grandson of LTC John O'Brien

Capt. O: As a old WW2 dogface from the 3rd Inf. Div. (7th Inf. Reg., 3rd Bn.) must agree with your take on the M-1 rifle for combat. It was one fantastic weapon and really put us ahead in firepower doe Infantry use. Must admit though that I also loved my Thompson sub which I used later. By the way, I too am from (and in NJ). Just recently got back ro

this forum after a long time due to health problems. Many thanks to all the old and new posters which still show interest in WW2 history.. Hope to become a regular poster once again. Ex PFC. Joe Fournier Red Bank, NJ

Joe,

Glad to hear you are up to posting again and look forward to your input. I am a Tommy gun fan, myself. If your objective is to put a man down (pretty much the raison d'être for the infantry) there's nothing better than 600-700 RPM of .45 ACP ammo. Did you have a 1928A1 or an M1/M1A1? I imagine if it was later in the war it would have been an M1A1.

ww2-158.jpg

Maj Todd O. USMC, Retired
Grandson of LTC John O'Brien

YEAH, JOE IS BACK. So good to hear from you again. Just when we think we won't hear from you anymore, you surprise us with your presence. It really is good to have you here.

Sorry to hear about your ongoing health problems, but glad to see you are able to join your forum members.

God bless ya,

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"