New features - ETO books and WWII Field Manuals

Funny how one thing leads to another...

As you know, I was inspired to create a new section of photos called "Other units" to our Photo Gallery, earlier this week. It's such a good feeling to finally begin that long, overdue project. And that inspiration was set-off from an email from a new member.

Well the train is still rolling...

Yesterday I was chatting with Larry and Caryl in a post related to Danforth Anchors. While looking up a certain pamphlet online, it took me to a site called paperlessarchives.com, and that led me to ordering a couple of disks which contain dozens upon dozens of WWII training and field manuals. Can't wait to get those and to share them with all of you.

But, it doesn't end there. I then began rummaging through all the CD/DVD's I've gathered over the years and lo and behold, I re-discovered a three-disk set which was gathering dust in my office. I placed it on my desk and went, "Oh man, I forgot all about these", and began perusing each disk to see what they held.

And THAT'S the real surprise for many of you today, for I uploaded everything on that set, and they're now available to you, my readers.

So if you get a chance, check out the new section on our main site, entitled Documents, and the new (first of many) page within that section.

Army European Theatre History

These are the titles now at your disposal - You can read online, or download each of these PDF files to your device/computer. And these PDF contain clickable links, with pop-up maps. Great stuff, folks!

Breakout and Pursuit

Logistical Support of the Armies - Volume 1 - May 1941 - September 1944

Logistical Support of the Armies - Volume 1 - September 1944 - May 1945

Northwest Africa - Seizing Initiative in the West

Riviera to the Rhine

Salerno to Cassino

Sicily and the Surrender of Italy

The Ardennes Battle of the Bulge

European Theatre of Operations - The Supreme Command

The Last Offensive

The Persian Corridor and Aid to Russia

The Siegfried Line Campaign

But a word of warning; You will now be spending even more time at VI Corps, so make sure you're in comfy clothes (jammies work nicely) and have your reading glasses at hand! :readingpaper:

:kermit:

Please note: These are LARGE books, and will take a long time to open, so your patience is required.

So, who's putting on the coffee pot this morning? :coffee: :coffee: :coffee:

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Thanks Marion, that could certainly be a black hole of interesting WWII info that I may get sucked into here at work! I best be careful not to go to crazy!

Maj Todd O. USMC, Retired
Grandson of LTC John O'Brien

It's a lure, darling. It's a lure. LOL!!!! Now go get's some real work done...

Marion J Chard

My job seems safe, at least for the time being. We have a new anti-virus software that checks web content as it is being downloaded. Things that are large don't tend to make it because it takes too long to be "approved".

Incidentally, while we are on the subject of interesting reading on the internet, I got lost for a good while looking at this:

http://books.google.com/books?id=qCcDAAAAMBAJ&source=gbs_all_issues_r&cad=1

It is Popular Science magazine archives. I'm sure they are all interesting, but the one I first found was the Feb 1945 issue. It showed a diagram of the B-29 firing system for its defensive guns and I found it fascinating. I have actually always wondered how it worked and here it was! Little did I know I just had to find the Feb 1945 edition of PS to find the answer!

post-2-0-48654400-1327611595_thumb.jpg

post-2-0-09151500-1327611598_thumb.jpg

Attached Files
.jpg   B29 controls (1).JPG (Size: 198.79 KB / Downloads: 0)
.jpg   B29 controls.JPG (Size: 198.79 KB / Downloads: 0)
Maj Todd O. USMC, Retired
Grandson of LTC John O'Brien

As you and I have found, you never know what one search will lead to. How many times have we been pleasantly surprised by the articles that pop up before our eyes.

Good find!

Marion J Chard

Oh will pass along that link to hubby. He will just love it!

Marion J Chard

No prize for guessing what I downloaded first! Looks like I need to get the PJs on for a long haul.

Thank you Marion - a great addition!!

Colin. :waving:

Hmmmm, my dear friend. Let me see, my first two guesses don't count! Could it be, Sicily and the Surrender of Italy?

Glad I could provide some "jammie" material. I can see you sitting there with a cup of tea, simply absorbing all those paragraphs! Simple smashing!

Marion J Chard

Okay, got the ball rolling today and got about 50 percent of the WWII Field Manuals uploaded to their new home in the Documents section on the main site. The new page is appropriately called, WWII Field Manuals.

I am doing a little at a time, since it is very time-consuming. Hope to have the rest uploaded by mid-week, next week, if all goes well.

Now there is no excuse for you to be bored!!!! :P :P :P

Marion J Chard

They have been uploaded in their entirety, as of a few minutes ago. You may now access a complete line of WWII Manuals as well as Field Manuals 1920-1940.

Please see main site for details. These can be found in our Documents Section (see pull down menu)!

Marion J Chard