294th Engineer Combat Battalion - 1944.

Joe:

Just had the chance to view your site. Beautiful work. Really. Do you ever take on work? Let's say if someone had an image in mind, or maybe from a photo? Curious. :rolleyes:

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Happy Trails to you... ;)

Marion J Chard

Joe: Just sent you an email with Bob's email address so you can get in touch with his father-in-law. Let me know when you get a chance to talk to him. Good luck. :pdt34:

Marion J Chard

Marion and Joe, I'm glad my research and photos have resulted in a US serviceman who was there in Sherborne at the time of the mine tradgedy adding to my knowledge. Thank you Joe, your comrades have not and will not be forgotten.

Colin.

:tank:

Marion and Colin:

Thank you for your messages. I often wonder and ponder on fate and why it is that some of us returned and others lie in their graves, many of them better men than I am. All I can say is that they have earned their eternal rest so that we could continue with our lives. The important thing to consider is whether or not we have taken that gift of long life and made this a better world or did we blow this opportunity and use these added years to the detriment of society.

Now, in the sunset of my years, I often meditate on this and I am making every effort to live the golden rule and try consciously not to hurt anyone no matter how great the provocation and always remember to forgive those who hurt me. That is the essence of our Judeo-Christian heritage. I can see my mortality and I know that, before long, I will be judged by my Creator for what I have done with this gift of life which He has given me.

My daily prayers are for all those facing death through disease, war and natural disasters and a special prayer for peace among families and the nations of the world.

Joe

Joe what a beautiful sentiment. Love your words. :heartpump: They ring so true.

Even though I may not be as old as you and our other dear vets, I am NOT a spring chicken anymore myself, and one can't help but to think upon these matters. When we were 18, we thought we were immortal and we'd always have enough time to make things right. Now we know that we have a finite amount of time on this earth and I for one am trying to make the world a better place before I leave her behind...

Having this forum has shown me so many wonderful things and has introduced to countless nice people including yourself. I am grateful for that. -_-

Can't wait to hear more and once again I am so glad you decided to share your history with us. God bless all those boys who made way for our freedoms. Who knows why things work the way they do?

Marion J Chard

Bob Christianson:

I have been trying to get in touch with you since you wrote that your father in law was in Company "A" of the 294th Combat Engineers. I was in Company "B" and if you would read elsewhere in this Forum you will see an extended story of what happened on March 20, 1944 on the Digby Estate in Sherborne.

Would you please have him contact me at: jaizzillo@earthlink.net or at (239) 262-2778.

Hello Mr. Izzillo. Thank you for sharing with us here on the forum.

I just visited your website and I must say MARVELOUS work!!!

Brooke

Brooke and Marion:

Thanks for your comments on my paintings. They are my therapy and I am inspired by the comments of the people who enjoy looking at them. They are also a part of my testament which I am leaving with my descendants. I have not sold many and I think that it is due to the high prices I place on them so that I can retain them. I think that I am doomed to be like so many other artists who only became famous after they died.

I do want to alert you to one thing. I have done a portrait of a Mohawk girl, Kateri Tekakwitha, who died on April 17, 1680 and who is now Blessed and on her way to canonization in the Catholic Church. It is the first portrait I ever painted and I did it as a gift to her for saving my life while suffering with an incurable disease. It is a long story, but my classmate at Fordham University, Tom Fleming, who has written over 40 books and is one of the leading historians in this country, has written an article about Kateri and me for GUIDEPOSTS magazine. The final draft has gone to the Editor and we are waiting to hear from him. This magazine has a circulation of 6 million and is available by subscription only. I am sure that libraries carry it.

It is hoped that it will be published soon and then many more millions will know about Kateri and her inspiring, short life, since she died at the age of 24. We also hope that this publicity will help in bringing about her canonization.

I will now try to attach a photo of her portrait. Those of you who have gone on my web-site have seen it already.

Joe

post-6-1157032120_thumb.gif

Attached Files
.gif   kateri.gif (Size: 55.01 KB / Downloads: 0)

That is just wonderful. I am sure it will get published. Will look forward to seeing the story, your beautiful painting and the publication.

Maybe 2006 is the year for both you and I! B)

Congrats!

Marion J Chard

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The 187th Engineer Combat Bn PDP2020 0 2,257 12-05-2022, 04:48 PM
Last Post: PDP2020
  250 Engineer Battalion Company Research R Eric 0 2,629 11-08-2022, 03:27 AM
Last Post: R Eric
  2827th Engineer Battalion Walt's Daughter 3 11,170 11-19-2019, 08:56 AM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter
  245th Engineer Combat Battalion, U.S. Third Army 1874thhistorian 5 13,191 08-21-2019, 01:01 AM
Last Post: mikel
  174th Engineer Combat Battalion Wendy 4 11,889 04-22-2019, 08:41 PM
  1274th Engineer Construction Battalion cincinnatikid 3 6,311 03-25-2019, 02:57 PM
  291st Engineer Combat Battalion Roster EngineerReenactor 9 19,846 02-01-2019, 02:42 PM
Last Post: mikel
  169th Engineer Combat Battalion angatti 15 20,449 10-07-2018, 11:41 AM
Last Post: angatti
  Camp Gordon Georgia 551 heavy engineer pontoon battalion photos Georgejohn 12 11,955 09-20-2018, 01:23 AM
Last Post: Georgejohn
  Jack Frank 1142nd Combat Engineer Group Frank Gubbels 4 5,739 05-27-2018, 03:11 AM
Last Post: Frank Gubbels