Chaplain James Good Brown - 381st Bomber Group.

One of the branches of all three services during WWII, often seen on newsreels but seldom talked about in the war histories, is the Chaplains branch. Covering all the denominations and often very close to the action.

Chaplain James Good Brown served with the 381st Bombardment Group (H) of the Eighth US Airforce at Ridgewell Aerodrome in England, Station 167. 1943-1945.

Chaplains were forbidden to go into combat or carry a gun by International Rules of War, but after much persuasion and some local flying for familiarisation he achieved his aim "to fly with his boys" on a combat mission. On March 2nd 1944 he flew in a B17 Flying Fortress on a mission to Frankfurt, Germany, take off 08:30am. Returned 4:30 pm. Maybe the only Chaplain to fly a combat mission? A true "Sky Pilot"!

One other indication of his commitment is as follows. He was invited to preach in a London church one Sunday. There being no trains from Great Yeldham (the nearest town to Ridgewell) to London on a Sunday during the war, he cycled the 60 miles to London leaving at 12:00noon after his Ridgewell service and arriving at the London church at 6:00pm for the 6:30pm service. He then cycled back to a now very foggy Ridgewell after the service, arriving soaked from the condensation of the fog and to the suprise of the MPs on the base gate!

NOTE:

The above is taken from - THE MIGHTY MEN OF THE 381st: HEROS ALL. Written by James Good Brown. Second edition published in 1986 and quoted with permission. (a great read!)

Now there's a truly inspirational story, Colin. Sure enjoyed reading about this chaplain. The part about the bicycle trip made me fatigued just reading about it. Talk about dedication. Whew!

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Dear Colin,

This is fantastic! Thank you so much! My grandfather would be tickled! I

heard about the bicycle story but never realized he biked 6 hours one way

and 6 hours back! But, knowing my grandfather this does not surprise me.

All Good things!

Cherio!

Bonnie Blue

Granddaughter Chaplain James Good Brown.

Bonnie/Colin,

The story you cite about the bicycle trip is expounded upon in a chapter that never got into the Mighty Men book. In the chapter, Chaplain Brown mentions that if he lived to be 80, it was a day in his life he'll never forget. He made a committment to preach in London, and based on his value system that meant he had to go to London. Having no train service or no car from the motor pool available did not prevent him from bicycling there so he could make good on his committent.

The reason he had to return the same night he attended mass in London was that the very next day, early morning, he was scheduled to Fly to France and he did not want to miss the flight. Thus he biked back to Ridgewell in the dark with no headlight (it was stolen from his bike while it was in London) arriving at the gate I believe about 4:00am.

I feel that was one day in the life that few have experienced!

Regards,

Bob

Major General Sir Francis (Freddie) De Guingand -

Orders from Montgomery: CHAPLAINS, Everyone is to be imbued with the desire to kill Germans. Even the Padre - one per weekday and two on Sundays!

A Padre With the Rats of Tobruk by J C Salter.

(Colin: I print this just as I found it with no comment ??)

Can't say enough about this topic. I sure am having fun reading all the correspondence. Again, thanks for this super post, Colin.

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Santa Rosa woman helps honor bomber crew 70 years later Walt's Daughter 0 2,534 11-20-2014, 01:58 PM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter
  B-24 Liberator Lady Be Good sixgun 3 9,322 11-14-2011, 04:39 PM
Last Post: verow
  Aerial chivalry- The story of Charlie Brown and Franz Stegler sixgun 1 3,692 09-05-2011, 08:04 AM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter
  James Watson -- modest WW2 hero James Pickering 7 265,719 06-21-2005, 03:09 AM
Last Post: James Pickering